Probably going to buy a new D22 STR

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aidano

Reaction score
Hi,
I am propably going to buy a new D22 STR.
Wanted to know if there are any major problems which may change my mind, my alternative is most likely a ford ranger/ BT50.
My current concerns are the 1/2 star ANCAP rating.
I don't mind the ute to drive but thought it was a little under done in the power stakes, I have looked up DCP's site looking at a chip upgrade which claims to take it to 125kw and about 400nm of torque.
does any one have any advice or experience with perfomance chip upgrades on the Y25.
Cheers and thanks to anyone who takes the time to reply

We went through all that some 10 months ago.
My opinion and why we settled on the D22
1. Its unashamedly agricultural - the others just dress up in cheap plastics to cover the fact.
2. I would still happily drive a HQ Holden even though it doesn't rate in ANCAP figures. The D22 still has dual airbags, pretensioners and ABS.
3. Its a model based upon a design and base chassis that has been around for a while with many satisfied owners.
4. Chipping it and engine improvements, along with aftermarket accessories are readily available. But power isn't everything. Its the same engine as in the D40 so improvement is more than possible.

As for problems? I have a list of niggling little faults that irk me that shouldn't be present in a new vehicle. Overall though it performs well, gives great fuel consumption and will present a better resale value than the others.

Good luck with the purchase mate.

My 2006 model is over 160,000km's now and still going great.

Dave.

Welcome to the forum, the only thing I would add to Aido's comments is to consider an exhaust upgrade soon after purchase. It made a huge difference in my case. I have the YD25 as well.

Anyone got a pic of the stock YD25 dump pipe ?

The ZD30 one is very restricted.

Dave.

I got a pic of the ZD30 in my garage (link in sig below) for the dump restriction. Haven't seen a YD25 around...

Only prob I had with my STR (93000km) was turbo gasket and ERG probe blew and both easy fixed. Do a suspension upgrade and exhaust as easily available mods and it goes great.

All depends what you'd like to do with your vehicle Aidano. I'd go have a look at Jason's garage. Good luck

Cheers Jase, looks like the lowest bigger got the contract for both models.

Dave.

Thanks guys very helpfull, I will put a deposit down next week for one with canopy tow pack and remote entry with out the extra's been quoted $32,990 sound alright to you??
I have read another extensive thred which showed in real stats that the chips are not that affective.
The dump pipe and exhaust, i have read some where that this voids the new car warranty is this right? i don't see why it should.
Great forum you guys have going here most helpful i have seen in my short time looking at this stuff, other ones i see you get people hijacking the threads with banter about how bad someones advice may be.
Cheers

Back