Questions about diff breathers.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsmason

Reaction score
Good Evening,

This is my first time posting on the forum but I have been using it as a great source of information maintaining my 2010 D40.

After a water crossing last week which was on the borderline for the trucks listed depth of 450mm I did some research and keep coming across posts regarding extending the diff and transfer box breathers.

So I got under the truck and had a look around and could not find anything resembling a valve on the rear diff (or what i think is the rear diff.)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6dycgvzbbmdir39/20140715_201158.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vn1aw51xp7zh4x4/20140715_201205.jpg

Can anybody point me in the right place to look for the breather and then extend it.

With regards the front breather I found a rubber tube in the engine cable tied to the back of the air filter which is open at the end and drops somewhere under the right hand edge of the engine bay, could this be the breather for the front diff?

As for the transfer box I am not quite brave enough to start delving that far as yet.

Many thanks for your advice,

Ben

On the 2010 D40 that i owned the rear diff breather was a rubber hose that ran from the top of the axle not far from the "pumpkin" (round centre part between the axle) up into the chassis rail and terminated in there.
Yes you are right and found the front one next to the air box.

the transfer and gearbox dont have any lines running off them so are harder to find, but if you feel around you should locate them

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, I shall go an poke around again tomorrow.

As far as I could see tonight the top of the round bit did not have any pipes directly leaving it, the two pipes closest went towards the brakes but were screwed into the top of the "Pumpkin."

I am determined to do this mod myself as it sounds easy in the forums but I may have to visit a local mechanic to put my mind at ease.

Best regards,

Ben

I found this image,

$_57.JPG

Looks exactly like whats underneath my truck and looks to be the correct way up.

Where is the breather?

Many Thanks

Ben

Found my rear diff breather, thank you for your help.

It has no extender pipe at all so sits very low especially for doing any work involving deep mud or fording.

So I have located a local hydraulic parts company which stock a 1/8 thread to 10mm pipe barb but its only available in brass, is it a problem to use brass instead of stainless?

I have ordered 5 meters of 10mm fuel hose and will take the breather into the engine next to the front diff hose.

I tried to find the breathers for the gearbox and transmission. Apparently they terminate by the "Bell Box" I dont know what this is so its proving difficult.

Latest posts

Back