Radio muffled

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waky53

Reaction score
When I start the car, (usually first thing in morning or if has been sitting at work) the radio sounds muffled and takes a few minutes to become clear.
At first I thought it is because we live in a country town and there are powerlines down our road and the antenna is slightly broken (bent). One morning I switched the A/C off and the radio came clear and became muffled when I switched the A/C back on.
It appears it is a low voltage problem. I looked at the smart alternator problem but could not see the green wire in the white plug so I don't think mine has that issue. It is a 2008 D40.
Does anyone have any ideas or heard of this fault before?

I was thinking of ditching the radio anyway for a single Din unit and using the spare slot for the UHF radio.
The radio sounds terrible anyway with a persistent hiss most of the time.

Last edited:
Some of them develop a bad earth over time, It may be worth pulling the unit out and checking/cleaning the connections. Just a thought anyway.

i dont think 2008 d40's have "smart" alternators, they added them late 2009 to early 2010 \, around that time.
as said earth or just replace the whole unit anyway since its medium quality (if not bad)

Beginning to think it may be the aerial it barely worked properly all the way home today. The new aerial should be here soon, but will check the connections too as it might be a loose wire.

Figured out how to take the dash apart to get at the radio and found the aerial wire seemed to be loose. It did not seem to push in any further, but sound came back to normal.

I replaced the aerial with one specified for BMW/VW it is a 16inch with a 5mm screw end if anyone is looking for a replacement. It was only $5.15 AUD.

Latest posts

Back