Random battery dead flat.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just had my battery go dead twice so thought I would do some reseach before replacing the battery (to save damaging a new one). Thought I would share incase it helps someone else.

The manual (starting and charging - dark current) states that the current drain with the key off should be less than 50mA after half an hour.

I put an ameter in series with the battery. The current started at about 0.5A when I connected it, and fairly quickly dropped to around 150mA. After about half an hour the current dropped to 20-30mA (was still 150mA at 20 mins) and seemed to stay there.

I repeated but this time switched the ignition on then off before testing, same result.

Dave

it was 11.2V this morning, wouldnt turn the car over. It was about 12.5V last night after I had taken it for a run (had to bump start it).

I brought a new battery today, hopeing it is good in the morning :)

just out of interest, are you removing the key from the ignition?? The wife got caught out with her camry when we first got it - left the key in the ignition overnight (in the off position). Turns out there is a microswitch inside the ignition barrel that activates the computer as soon as the key goes in - before you turn it. Battery went flat in 12 hours.

Key was not in the ignition. good to know though as I have left keys in cars overnight.

Car was good this morning so was hopfully just a dead battery.

dave

Latest posts

Back