Random conking out

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navchick93

Reaction score
In the past few weeks my ute has been randomly started to die in the ass, I've fully pulled out my diesel tank and cleaned it out and also replaced my fuel filter 2 times and it keeps happening. Can anyone help its starting to be a pain.

How was the state of your fuel filter? Injectors could be clogged up? How's your air filter?

Fuel filter was pretty average the first time second time was really good. Air filter is good too.

Are there any warning signs before it gives up, like a spluttering? Does it only happen at idle, it is only just after startup, does it only happen after you accelerate hard?

Several things could affect it. A dirty MAFS, faulty SCV, air leak on the suction side of the pump (anywhere from pump to tank but most likely a mispositioned seal in the fuel filter or a deteriorating hose/overtightened clamp). It could be a faulty fuel rail pressure sensor, glow plug relay, loose injector harness - there's more, but some more info might point us closer.

If you want to clean the MAFS do it carefully and use an electrical contact cleaner, do NOT touch the inners with tools, cloths, cotton buds etc. You could clean it with a solvent, I'd recommend either methanol/ethanol or at worst unleaded petrol. A broken MAFS costs around $400 - it's in the back of the air pipe just outside the air filter and it reads the flow rate and temperature of the incoming air.

The SCV - suction control valve - bolts onto the back of the fuel pump (mounted on the right hand side of the engine, low down). I think it's a couple of hundred bucks and about an hour's work to change.

There is no warning signs. It does it when ever it's always at different times sometimes at start up sometimes when I'm at a stop and take off or once I stop the revs just drop and it stalls itself. Sometimes at idle and sometimes when I'm in 2nd & 3rd gear. I can have my foot flat on the accelerator and max I get to is 20km it even drops down from 60km to 20km. I can tell when it's happening because it gets really sluggy.

If it's getting sluggish and not dying straight away it might be going into limp mode. This is often a sign of the SCV failing. Restarting the car will reset it so that it drives okay again.

Try this experiment: take the car out to a highway, hold the speed at 80km/h then gently depress the throttle until the car reaches 100km/h. Now slow back to 80km/h then fully depress the throttle. Does it go sluggish? If it does, it's the SCV.

This happened to me yesterday when I was on the beach. I had just dug myself out and went into low range it just slowed then turned off.
No alarms. Turned car back on , ran for about 3 seconds then died again?
Third time lucky everything was fine... ??
Just got serviced 2 weeks ago. Very strange and unsettling.

I have this same problem with my 2010 2.5 auto d40 it just dies randomly about twice a week but once it starts again it drives like new unsure what's going on but it dose make my heart skip a beat, because I no one day it will just not start at all.

same thing happened to me 2010 D40. Usually just after changing gears. As Tony and others have said SCV. Dealer fixed under warranty. But since then have been using more fuel. Also was told locking the car 5 times with engine off re boots the ECU ??? Either with fob or key. Hope you get it sorted as its a prick when it happens in traffic.

Latest posts

Back