Random high pitched squeal / squeak just started..

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gagzila

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Drove into town today and just as I was pulling into a driveway I noticed the Nav all of a sudden started making this fairly noticeable high pitched rapid sqeak / almost a sqeal. Can't figure out what is causing it yet but through a bit of testing I found that it's nothing inside the engine or otherwise mechanical and most likely something that's come loose or started rubbing via the below things I noticed:

- goes away when the engine is under load (accelerating or revving quickly) and not vibrating from side to side like it does at idle or under low / constant throttle

- with the engine running, if I gripped the intercooler mounts to stop the shaking at idle, I could almost make it go away

- without the engine running, I can shake the engine by hand and get the same sqeak, even closing the bonnet is enough to send a vibration through to get a little sqeak

It seems to be near the bottom rear of the engine somewhere and is quiet loud, so much that I can here it no worries at 60kmp/h with the windows up. It also seems to be quickly getting worse, after getting home and letting it idle for a bit while attempting to track it down, it started almost getting a metal grinding on metal sound.

Anyone else had a similar experience or have any ideas on what it may be? This is in a 2010 D22 STR (Thai built).

Cheers,

Craig

If you're sure its not belts I'd be making sure all the heat shielding on the cat and exhaust around the turbo as well as under the car is tight. I seem to remember something about heat shielding being loose on here a while ago, so I'd check that first

Yeah definitely not belts, was planning to get under and check it all out but it's pissing rain today and it lives in the driveway currently so decided not to get saturated...will check those, thanks for the tips.

If I can't get it sorted after a good look, might chuckup a video...need to sort it fairly quickly as it's annoying as hell and as I said, seems to quickly being getting worse.

Cheers,

Craig

Does the intercooler have a bracket that mounts to the firewall? Remember reading something about that somewhere.

Hi Rumpig,

I don't believe so and wouldn't think so either with the amount the engine moves around during idle and under load.

Also the sound is coming from much lower down, more like dump pipe / gear box area so may be a heat shield or some mount come loose as suggested.

Cheers,

Craig

So, got under the car today and had a look around...pretty much straight away spotted a bit of exhaust / dump pipe heat shield that looked like it had been bent to fit the beaudesert exhaust and the top corner of the shield was touching the exhaust. Jiggled the car around a bit and the sound seemed to be pretty consistent with coming from there.

Got some multigrips in there and bent it away...no more squeak / squeal! :top:

photo_zpsb03f2683.jpg

Glad it was something so simple and quick to fix, couldn't stand driving with that noise for one hour let alone every day to work and back if I hadn't found it.

Cheers,

Craig

Latest posts

Back