Ratchet/Gear Spanners

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dilmah

Reaction score
Just wondering what people think of these spanners? I have had a more than a few instences where I have needed to use a spanner in a tight spot and a ratchet spanner would have been ideal. Im thinking of buying an 15 piece Kincromo set which ranges from 8 - 24 in size. I know they are expensive but I believe in buying good quality tools that will last most of my lifetime. Any opinions or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

got a kinchrome set myself...ripper tools. very very handy and excellent quality. so useful in heaps of normal situations but great for those tricky tight spots

Worth the cash on getting a set. My open enders and normal spanners havent been used in a longtime since getting myself a ratchet set. I got mine from TradeTools Direct.

I have a set of "BLUE-POINT" ratchet spanners i bought from one of the "SNAP ON" trucks about 10 yrs ago and i have used and abused them on all sorts of jobs and they are an awesome tool, and im sure the "KINGCROME" ones would be as good.
I say buy them, i dont think you will regret having them in your tool box.

Kingchrome's are fine. Ratchet spanners are an essential in yr arsenal right after socket set and set of conventional combo spanners IMO.

As everyone above has said they are great and handy, ask anyone who has done a snorkel install, near impossible without ratchet spanners, best money i spent buying a set

Im sold, going to my local tool shop tomoz morning to invest in a set!
Thanks for the feedback

best thing you will ever buy. consider sidchrome? AIS tools has a special on atm buy the metric set get the imperial set free, they are dearer than kinchrome but double the spanners :)

Im sold, going to my local tool shop tomoz morning to invest in a set!
Thanks for the feedback

What ever you choose, just make sure it has a high ratcheting count. I did have a cheap set, and u needed to do nearly 1/8th of a turn before the next ratchet would grab, which is useless in tight spots.

I've heard that you shouldn't use them to crack a bolt/nut or use them to do the final tighten as it can put a lot of pressure on the gearing and can wreck them prematurely.

I've heard that you shouldn't use them to crack a bolt/nut or use them to do the final tighten as it can put a lot of pressure on the gearing and can wreck them prematurely.

I treat mine like my socket set, if its hard to move, crack it with a breaker bar bar or crack with a spanner,

What ever you choose, just make sure it has a high ratcheting count. I did have a cheap set, and u needed to do nearly 1/8th of a turn before the next ratchet would grab, which is useless in tight spots.

Thats why i love my snap-on ones, high ratcheting count and as strong as all get out, i have used them fro everything in the last 10 yrs even hit them with a hammer trying to undo shit mainly due to getting the shits, i dont recommend it but i have given those things hell :rambo:

I've got a basic supercheap set of them and they work OK. The only disadvantage with the ones I've got is they haven't got a reverse switch on them, you have to flip the spanner over to change the direction, which isn't always easy in some spots... I'm pretty sure the kinchrome ones and a lot of others too probably have a lever to change the ratchet direction, like a ratchet on a socket set...

In saying all that, I used them when I put my tow bar on, then took it off, then put it on again, plus numerous other times to crack/fully tighten bolts with no problems, but maybe some with more teeth on the ratchet may wear prematurely...

Last edited:
Mine are Sidcrome. They are stubbies, which is really handy for tight spots especially in the engine bay.

Slightly off topic, but aldi have a set of ring/open enders from 6-32mm for 49 buckaroonies!
chrome vandium ect ect.
going to grab a set!

I've been looking at either the bahco or kinchrome spanners that have different sizes on all ends. A set of three spanners and you get and you get 12 sizes. Anyone used these? The old by thing that turns me off is the head doesn't tilt........

^ Yeah I keep a pair of repco ones in the ute that do nearly all metric and imperial sizes between 8mm and 19mm (except 12mm, it pisses me off!) They're pretty handy to carry around, but like you say, the heads don't swivel, and the reverse switch gets a bit finniky on the smaller one - it flips itself when you're using it so you have to keep yr thumb on it. I bought my old man a pair of them for xmass a while back and his does the same - he returned them and the new one does it too! I don't use them on my cars and bike - I keep a set of proper ratchet spanners for that in the garage.

I just purchased 8mm to 20mm kingchrome set of open end ring ratchet spanners.. They are sick. Even the open end is ratchet.. They don't have the flick thingy to change direction but I don't see what's the big deal flipping them over? Any how I like them cost me $240 on special from autobharn

Latest posts

Back