Rattles!!!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's bloody annoying isn't it!! And having noises like that when trying to onsell the car is not going to be too good

Okay so after months of swearing and cursing and driving with the stereo off to try and suss out where these squeeks are coming from (and wrongly accusing the rear leaves) it turns out the squeek is as simple as an unlubricated bonnet latch. I am kicking myself, because I've been putting up with this for around 6-12 months, being constantly pissed off with it and thinking my 18 month old car is about to fall apart. Frustratingly, I don't have any WD40 or CRC in my shed!!!

Unfortunately, the problem of the noisy brakes and exhaust are still unsolved, but this latest discovery has given me renewed enthusiasm to find the source of these two issues!

it turns out the squeek is as simple as an unlubricated bonnet latch.

Mine hasn't started doing this...thankfully, but when my mate in Canada told me that this is a very common problem they see I was a little dubious about how much of a rattle you'd hear from the bonnet latch in the cabin over the other noises but it appears our utes aren't immune to it after all.

Try this one
I know where and what it is and its done it from day one.
The front passenger door rattles against the body on even the most minor ripple in the road.
According to Nissan "Adjustments are not covered under warranty" and so I have to take it to a panel shop and pay to have it adjusted so as the door closes firmly enough to put tension against latch and thus stop it from rattling.
It is driving me nuts. Has anyone had experience with fitting and adjusting doors? I'll have a go but a little bit knowledge beforehand might be helpful before I get a door that is cockeyed and gaffa taped shut to get it to the panel shop.

I haven't done this specifically with the Nav but I've done plenty of car doors in my time. Should just be a matter of adjusting either door bracket, finding the right location and then tightening them up.

You need to decide which way the door needs to go and the easiest way I know is to hold the hand and gentle close the door and see where it's rubbing (if at all) and then decide if the movement needs to be up or down. Once you decide the direction it needs to go simply adjust the brackets accordingly and repeat the open close procedure until it fits properly.

Seriously though I can't understand why a Nissan dealer wont fix it under warranty. Unless they things it's sloppy hinges or something that needs replacing it's a fairly simple job and something even my annoying dealer would do under warranty.

Mine hasn't started doing this...thankfully, but when my mate in Canada told me that this is a very common problem they see I was a little dubious about how much of a rattle you'd hear from the bonnet latch in the cabin over the other noises but it appears our utes aren't immune to it after all.

Trust me it's very noticable, even over the mechanical symphony of other squeeks and rattles AND Pearl Jam cranked up.

Trust me it's very noticable, even over the mechanical symphony of other squeeks and rattles AND Pearl Jam cranked up.

If only you could get it to match the drum beat it wouldn't be noticeable

My doors bounce up and down like crazy on the latch when travelling on rough roads, i just learned to live with it.

Make sure you are wearing your yellow safety shirt when driving, atleast when you finally do fall out the door the person behind might see you before they hit you.

Hi All,

I have a standard D40 and I too have the rattle that seems to be in the engine bay and sounds like a heat shield or something. It sounds like a really tinny vibration and comes on at about 1800rpm and disappears at about 2200. I had the Nav from new and it started at about 15,000kms. I've taken it back to Nissan a number of time and they have never been able to find it. I've taken the service manager for a drive and he acknowledged that there is a noise, but still no joy 60,000kms further on. I've just learned o live with it.

thanks for the piece of mind, at least i know it's nothing major if nothing else!

i got a noise for you all...

whilst driving along at any speed, a noise is heard that is somewhat linear with the driving speed (slow speeds you barely hear it, normal urban speeds of around 60+ you hear it clearly) and the sound is what seems like a fast spinning loose shim/washer that seems to be on both sides of the car and the mechanic can't pick it.

the brakes and rotors have all been checked and this sound just cant be picked out.

How about securing the car on flat ground, pop it into neutral with the handbrake off, then jacking the car up one wheel at a time and giving them a spin to see which one does it?

If none of them do it, I'd really suspect the drive shaft/transfer case.

Hey guys and gals,

There is a common rattle on the D40's that Nissan knows about. It seems as though it comes from behind the dash or drivers footwell and apparently is actually in the engine bay on the firewall. My local Nissan dealer fixed it no dramas when I mentioned it at service time. It happened on light to medium acceleration.

I have another rattle coming from the dash on the passenger side, that no-one seems to be able to find. My dealer put it down to the bonnet hinge. They adjusted it and it went away for awhile but I notice it is back again now. Only seems to occur when running over small bumps with front tyres. May still be the bonnet moving?

From what I understand of the bonnet hinge rattle and by no means am I suggesting this should be taken as gospel is that an adjustment as you suggest Nissan did will not fix the problem the problem seems to be that the hinge needs lubrication.

@ theredrider78.....wot WAS the cause of rattle in the end????...if you don't know, any chance you can ask, nxt time you're down the dealers, please....many people are going stir over this noise
I live in thailand and trying to get any sense out of this lot is well........you know wot i mean.
thanx in advance big chap

Hey guys and gals,

There is a common rattle on the D40's that Nissan knows about. It seems as though it comes from behind the dash or drivers footwell and apparently is actually in the engine bay on the firewall. My local Nissan dealer fixed it no dramas when I mentioned it at service time. It happened on light to medium acceleration.

hey dude. mines goin in for service on thursday and dealer has been told to keep it until they fix this rattle. reckon you could find out what it was cause as it is only intermittant im betting they wont even check it out and say they couldnt hear it.
ive been going insane looking for it, i am even thinking about disconnecting the instrument cluster to see if it the tacho making the noise.

Latest posts

Back