re the rear door speakers worth installing

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicknav

Reaction score
Are the rear door speakers worth installing, the reason I am asking is that I installed some in my Hilux I has a few years ago and it made a good improvement but as I was going to install some in the Nav today as I opened the door I noticed the speaker grills are almost hard up to rear seats so I really don't see how effective they would be for the work required to install them.
I have seen the photo on here where someone installed some speakers on the doors forward of the existing ones which would be a great improvement but I am not interested in going that far with it with extra holes.
My other option thinking now would just to put a powered box subwoofer behind the rear seat as I think that might be more effective.
I have upgraded the stereo to a high powered Pioneer and that made a big improvement on the sound.
Also while I think of it how many watts are the front speakers as an upgrade to them may help also.
Looking forward to reading your opinions.
cheers
nick

Are the rear door speakers worth installing, the reason I am asking is that I installed some in my Hilux I has a few years ago and it made a good improvement but as I was going to install some in the Nav today as I opened the door I noticed the speaker grills are almost hard up to rear seats so I really don't see how effective they would be for the work required to install them.
I have seen the photo on here where someone installed some speakers on the doors forward of the existing ones which would be a great improvement but I am not interested in going that far with it with extra holes.
My other option thinking now would just to put a powered box subwoofer behind the rear seat as I think that might be more effective.
I have upgraded the stereo to a high powered Pioneer and that made a big improvement on the sound.
Also while I think of it how many watts are the front speakers as an upgrade to them may help also.
Looking forward to reading your opinions.
cheers
nick

I stuck 6" pioneers in the front and that made a difference with my pioneer deck.

Then I stuck 6x9s in those angled pods on the rear doors.
Bit of stuffing around but it made a massive difference.

I can now drown put the kids a little better on those long drives lol

Check my garage for pics

Edit: And there were no speaker wires run out of the dash to the rear doors. There was wiring between pillar and door that I used, but I had to run wiring from dash to pillars

Last edited:
Thanks rastik86

I took the rear door skin partly off today and what a bad design by Nissan as there is no room at all behind the speaker grill from the window slider and there is so much room behind the unused ashtray in the open not obscured by the back seat.
Who uses ash trays nowadays anyway, the front one is for loose change and people in the back use an empty beer can that's laying on the floor :)
I may even try some box speakers behind the back seat just to get some sound in the back and/or also a slimline sub in there also.
I think ill update the front to some higher powered pioneers also as they are cheap enough nowadays for 300's or there abouts, can you remember what the wattage are of the original ones?

Cheers

Nick

Thanks rastik86

I took the rear door skin partly off today and what a bad design by Nissan as there is no room at all behind the speaker grill from the window slider and there is so much room behind the unused ashtray in the open not obscured by the back seat.
Who uses ash trays nowadays anyway, the front one is for loose change and people in the back use an empty beer can that's laying on the floor :)
I may even try some box speakers behind the back seat just to get some sound in the back and/or also a slimline sub in there also.
I think ill update the front to some higher powered pioneers also as they are cheap enough nowadays for 300's or there abouts, can you remember what the wattage are of the original ones?

Cheers

Nick

No idea. I know I had one speaker that worked shit and one that worked extra shit and only when it felt like it.

I don't even know the wattage of the 6" pioneer fronts I have. A mate gave em to me ages ago but they are 100 times better than standard. I think my 6x9s are 250w maybe a little more, but I bought them 8 or more years ago and they still sound great

I put a pair of 6x9s in a custom box i made and they sit behind the rear seats. Running off the stocko head unit. Im past the DOOF DOOF hi-fi sounds systems now, I just need loud cos im deaf!

I put a pair of 6x9s in a custom box i made and they sit behind the rear seats. Running off the stocko head unit. Im past the DOOF DOOF hi-fi sounds systems now, I just need loud cos im deaf!

Yeah it was mainly the real shallow sound I hated.Even with the pioneer fronts.

The rear speakers make it so much better.

You don't have to turn it up to 312 to hear

Do upgrading the front 6x9 off the stock head unit make a difference? I'm past the doof doof amp and sub era, but just want a cleaner sound rather than the paper muffled ones that are stock?

Do upgrading the front 6x9 off the stock head unit make a difference? I'm past the doof doof amp and sub era, but just want a cleaner sound rather than the paper muffled ones that are stock?

I found it filled in a bit having them back there, only prob it muffles them a little but have a play with fade and it doesnt sound bad.

Hey so I want to put 6x9 in the back door I took the panel off to expose the inside of the door And best spot looks like where the ciggy tray goes.
Does anyone know or seen speakers fitted there without spacers if so then good for me I can do it if not I've got other options in mind but my main thing is to see if they fit in the door.
Another option is at SCA a pre box for 6x9 and can sit under and at the front of the back seat on the floor facing forward. I think it would be good there cause would be out of the way off peeps feet and produce better sound. :tazzy:

I didn't bother, just threw some spare 6" in to replace the factory. Can't hear it from the drivers seat

So I had a look 6x9 can fit but 6" easily fit but I want to have good sound but will having 4x 6" good as well. I just don't want to put either or in and regret and wish I had the other.

Gday. From a purely sound Quality perspective. If you have an aftermarket head unit ( Kenwood Pioneer Sony etc ) go with 6x9. If only have factory head unit or no plan to upgrade, use 6inch splits.

Latest posts

Back