Rear diff breather

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i've heard of guys plumbing their breathers into the engine's air filter, is there any benefit from doing this? would this cause any problems?

Ok heres the first 5 shots of my Diff breather install that I did this afternoon. I used some cable ties, 2 hose clamps, and 4.5m of 3/8" fuel hose.

In order the shots are:
1. Stock breather cap. (unsure about the amount of liquid sitting around it, that just after a city of round the town driving, nothing too strenuous. should i be worried?)
2. Breather without the cap. for those that have replaced this with a barb from the nissan dealer, how does it differ?
3. My method for attaching the breather hose, i really had to stretch it down over the Hexagonal nut grip as well, and put the clamp down as low as i could, other wise she could just fall off.
4. the start of my hose run, a nice loop to reduce tension on the breather attachment point, nicely cable-tied along the brake line.
5. tied, all the way along and follows the brake line up to the lines.

Attachments

• diff_breather1.jpg
    diff_breather1.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 424
  • diff_breather2.jpg
    diff_breather2.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 409
  • diff_breather3.jpg
    diff_breather3.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 427
  • diff_breather4.jpg
    diff_breather4.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 411
  • diff_breather5.jpg
    diff_breather5.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 415
and in order:
6. a look up under the tray, making sure there is enough length for your suspension to flex it's heart out! without worrying your breather.
7. Sneaky-ing it up between the tray and the cab
8. Excess hose coiled up in the tray with a small fuel filter on the end

so yeah, hopefully that will keep my diff breathing easy,

for those that know, the Barb that you can get from Nissan Dealers (Part Number: NI-38323-C601A Conn-Breather H) to replace the stock breather, if it is different and provides a better method of attaching the hose (like a longer extruding shaft!) can someone purchase and send to me? My local dealer is fresh out with no time frame on getting them in. (am willing to pay)

Attachments

• diff_breather6.jpg
    diff_breather6.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 335
  • diff_breather7.jpg
    diff_breather7.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 348
  • diff_breather8.jpg
    diff_breather8.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 353
nice job josman. with what you've done i don't reckon i would bother with the barb... why going into the tub though? why not go into the engine bay like everyone else seems to be doing?

nice neat job though. should do the trick.

nice job josman. with what you've done i don't reckon i would bother with the barb... why going into the tub though? why not go into the engine bay like everyone else seems to be doing?

nice neat job though. should do the trick.

into the tub? laziness..the tub is adequate for now, and hose length, all i could get was 4.5m, so i need to get a joiner and some more before running it down there.

if the barb is longer i'd like to put it on, i don't feel that is very secure as it sits now, the hose clamp is really all thats holding it on. it's secure int eh sense that i couldn;t pull it off even with a fair bit of pulling, but even still, you never know what a stray stick will do....

Did mine not long after i bought it 6 years ago, 10mm fuel line hose with clamps and zip ties, have done a heap since, but i ran into a few blokes at the pub and just checking out what each other has done to there navara and we got to the subject of diff breathers. They were lazy and plumbed theres into the tail light cavity, big mistake as i said to them if you go through a decent amount of water or coming out of water going up hill, whats the first thing that goes under water, its your tail lights.
Hopefully they will change it before they go in the drink again.

can someone purchase and send to me? My local dealer is fresh out with no time frame on getting them in. (am willing to pay)

Bursons / Repco / Supercheap / Autobarn.

Not sure on the thread but pretty sure its 3/16 BSP (unscrew yours and take with) match that to a barb 3/8 to suit the fuel line you have run. Approx $5

Was gonna do mine this weekend after chatting to mechanic last night, picked it up today after service and he did it for me! Said the front/transfer case/gearbox were all done so he tapped the rear into it. It comes out somewhere under the bonnet, think he said it's steel/alloy tube. Scotty if you read this that leachy fellas a top bloke!

I lashed out and got the Billet set up for two.

Transfer, gearbox & front diff already done on my model (2006 D22) so only need to fully install the rear but I joined the front diff also and it looks pretty under the hood.

And they work - major service found all the fluids to be in good order - despite many trips into water.

Well done to all the blokes who did the DIY set up.

Attachments

• DSCF6851.jpg
    DSCF6851.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 292
Oh ridgie, you're my hero, haha, they look awesome! Was just happy to have it done, he did the diff oil, said it was full of crap, but all good now. Havin a good day, neighbour just gave me a gel cell 100ah yuasa battery for a 6 pack! Dual batteries done!

Ridgie, is that the kit you buy ready to go? I think I saw a similar one at TJM for about $90

Yep - got it online from Billet. I originally bought the 4 breather kit and then when I actually had a look realised I didn't need it so Billet took it back and sent me the two breather kit and refunded the $$$.

Oh digbyj.......stop it, you're making me blush!

What deal is Aido conjuring up?

Last edited:
Will have to inspect the D22 when it arrives and extend those which need extending. Anyone know what does and doesn't need doing in a 2010 model?

Mitch

2009-2010 just need rear diff extended. I got my diff breather from arb was $25 and fuel line from bursons was like $30 and fitting was bout $5.

Goodluck

Latest posts

Back