Rear Lift Only

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Showy

Reaction score
Hi Guys

New to this place, and new to being single again, so my plan (well evolved) is to spend about 12k for extras on my stock standard Dual Cab 09 D22 STR that I bought brand new, hitch a brand new camper trailer to the back, and go see Aus.

What I've noticed over the last few years is that whenever I'm doing anything reasonably serious off road, I have to remove the tow ball assembly to stop me from bottoming out due to increased departure angle. I have even been 'hung up' on the tow ball before, much to a mates delight.

My question is - I'm towing a quality off road camper with me, with independent rear sprung suspension and electric brakes - would just a rear body lift help, or should I do the front as well? How would it effect handling if I need to ditch the trailer for a while by just lifting the tub?

At this stage I'm throwing the credit card at ARB - Steel bar, winch, snorkel, HID lights, suspension upgrade, rear lockers and possible roof rack. Already fitted a UHF, dual battery in the tub and an Engel to keep the beer cold.

Not a tyre kicker, so any help / advise would be appreciated - Leave from Victoria within 4 months.

Cheers.

You could get a 50mm body lift then have the towbar made to sit 50mm higher. Also look at getting a Jap tub (plenty on ebay) as they ar 90mm shorter so better departure angle, I think they fit the later models.

Last edited:
Jap tubs don't fit the Thai built models I don't think. Bodylifting the tub won't give you better departure angle. Do a lot of the installs urself. Save you bucket loads of cash. Talk to zordo about suspension and stuff. Matt from thumpa Inc is ur man for hid conversion kits. I am now way handy for mechanical or car stuff but have done all my own installs. The latest being spray on tubliner. saved $600 on rhino linings price.

just look around for pricings before throwing it at arb :)

it easy enough to make a higher tow ball, but the trailer can be the limit.

rear only lift is easy enough. tho i would do a 3" rear lift and 2" front lift. that way with trailer load etc it will even out.

Jap tubs don't fit the Thai built models I don't think. Bodylifting the tub won't give you better departure angle. Do a lot of the installs urself. Save you bucket loads of cash. Talk to zordo about suspension and stuff. Matt from thumpa Inc is ur man for hid conversion kits. I am now way handy for mechanical or car stuff but have done all my own installs. The latest being spray on tubliner. saved $600 on rhino linings price.

just look around for pricings before throwing it at arb :)

Thanks for the advise - If I had the time I would do my own conversions - I don't, and therefore need a reputable company to do them for me. I'm no where Qld for Zordo's talents.

Last edited:
it easy enough to make a higher tow ball, but the trailer can be the limit.

rear only lift is easy enough. tho i would do a 3" rear lift and 2" front lift. that way with trailer load etc it will even out.

Thanks for the advise - I am going down the right path aren't I as far as the body lift? Wasn't sure. The ARB guys say you only get 30mm off a suspension lift, which won't really help with the load at the back.

Higher tow ball - believe it or not (derr) hadn't thought of it yet.

Although higher towball, higher draw bar, lower departure angle on the trailer?

Last edited:
depends on how high the draw bar is and how much angle you can run it at. i had to lower my tow ball as i had one trailer sitting on its rear axle all the time.

body lift makes no difference to towball unless tray is getting in the way.

arb are full of crap. 50mm is easy enough. lots of people on here have that. its not recommended to wind the front up any higher. rear can be anything, just get leaf springs made to suit.

I found the ARB lift wasn't high enough for what I wanted and was way too expensive, so I went to another 4x4 place in my area and got the full Ironman kit fitted which gave me 15mm higher than ARB, plus heavy duty torsion bars and was cheaper by a few hundred.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back