Rear springs rubbing on chassis

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qqc d22

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else has had the top of the rear spring rubbing on the spring mount at the front.
Purchased tough dog lift 2nd hand off a forum member and since ive put it in it creaks and groans on the p/s back. after lots of troubleshooting i have found that the front spring is binding on the front spring hanger. Im going to put new bushes in there hopefully it will fix the issue but im doubtful as the bushes seemed fine when I fitted them(was pretty pissed when fitting tho :D )
anyone else come across this issue ?

there 300kg constant load springs

G'day, have you got greaseable pins. The reason I ask is because I have tough dog lifted springs with greaseable pins all round (6 pins), they've been in for about 15000 klm and haven't had any issues. Hope this helps.

no dont have greasable pins but they wont make a difference to my problem unfortunatly.
hopefully the bushes have just collapsed a little and when replaced it will clear.
they look to be in good condition but hopefully thats the answer, I think i will grind a little bevel on the spring to help clear aswell

Have found the reason for the rubbing its not the bushes the spring eye has stretched and come away from the main spring making it sit higher and rub on the chassis. Oh happy days

You grind the spring down a few mm
I have seen this problem before.
Cheers

It was my original plan zordo but by the looks the amount ill need to remove will be a bit more than i think should be removed. I might have another look tomorrow and make a call if im gonna tackle it with the grinder. I probably have to I cant really afford new springs atm as ive had a few set backs and committed to buying ucas when rustynav gets them in

I have found that you only need to frind the outer half of the spring.
Where the spring hanger mounts to the chassis sit a little lower than the chassis.
You can even cut the second wrap right off at about the 4 oclock position on the rh spring
looking fron the outside
Cheers

cheers mate looking at it you would be spot on. old mate i bought them off has been gracious enough toi send me the original recipt so im gonna try claim warranty on them before i take to with the grinder. have you found this problem on brand new springs or onl ones that have stretched. Im assuming they have stretched due to having such a large gap between the first and second wrap. possibly it could be a slight difference in hangers from the japan build to thai build i dont know

cheers mate looking at it you would be spot on. old mate i bought them off has been gracious enough toi send me the original recipt so im gonna try claim warranty on them before i take to with the grinder. have you found this problem on brand new springs or onl ones that have stretched. Im assuming they have stretched due to having such a large gap between the first and second wrap. possibly it could be a slight difference in hangers from the japan build to thai build i dont know

I have found this problem in new springs.
If there is a gap between the 1st & second wrap that's normal as well.
How big is the gap appox 5mm.
Don't hold your breath on warranty. I would just gring the spring & make the bush is OK.
Cheers

I have found this problem in new springs.
If there is a gap between the 1st & second wrap that's normal as well.
How big is the gap appox 5mm.
Don't hold your breath on warranty. I would just gring the spring & make the bush is OK.
Cheers

Yeah it's probably a touch bigger than 5mm but not by a lot :(
You are probably right about just grinding it.
cheers for your help mate.
also what price can you do me a set of toughdog or decnt torsion bars for posted to 4670. I will have to fit a set in the coming months and if freight doesnt kill them id like to get them off you as a small thankyou for your help.
cheers Dale

Yeah it's probably a touch bigger than 5mm but not by a lot :(
You are probably right about just grinding it.
cheers for your help mate.
also what price can you do me a set of toughdog or decnt torsion bars for posted to 4670. I will have to fit a set in the coming months and if freight doesnt kill them id like to get them off you as a small thankyou for your help.
cheers Dale
Hi Dale.
I usually use ironman torsion bars . $310 shipped
I also have fitting instructions
cheers

mate that sounds good ill get in contact with you in the near future. I did want to use toughdogg just to keep it all the same but i guess there all the same just different colors

mate that sounds good ill get in contact with you in the near future. I did want to use toughdogg just to keep it all the same but i guess there all the same just different colors

Different color & a lot more cost
Cheers

Update for those interested. 4wd1 sent me a new set of springs yunder warranty ;)
they are exactly the same as my originals so they to will rub. I bit the bullet cut of the extra military wrap part of the spring problem solved apart from the 2-3mm of missing steel from my front chassis hangers lol.
4wd1 reckon they have never come accross the problem and tough dogg said the same thing :/ maybe because mine is jap built there is a slight difference.

anyway problem solved and ill give 4wd1 a shoutout aswell they were excellent to deal with sent me new springs no worries, would also like to say thanks to zordo for his advice seems like a top bloke and once i get on top of some billls he can expect an order for a set of torsion bars for his troubles

Latest posts

Back