Recovery points - are these safe?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This isn't a bad idea actually...

I thought so too , its not going to do any damage , its pulling from behind the concertina plates , its using the chassis , and its got all the bullbar mounts holding the 2 small chassis slings , its not permanent , and offers some initial shock cushioning , just need someone to make the 2 small slings

I think the consistent negative vibes put against the concertina mounting system used by the bar has put me off... back to the drawing board. Might even give Opposite Lock a buzz tomorrow to see if they can shed some light on the reasoning behind reinforced mounting points up on the bar.

:)

The mounting position on the Xrox bar are reinforced with what looks like 4-5 mm steel so I am thinking they have been thought of to be used as recovery points... why else would they reinforce them?

I understand the concern about the "shock" of snatching as well... but in all honestly you shouldn't just be going hell for leather from the get go... start small and increase is the rule of the day for me :) there's gotta be a technique employed to minimise damage and recovery failure.

Also, the main theme running through the comments on recovery from most forums recognises that equalizer straps NEED to be used...

I understand what you are saying and i totally 100% agree with your technique and using equaliser straps, the only problem is sometimes the driver of the RECOVERY vehicle may get a little excited.
Personally thats why i dont like using snatch straps to get out of situations, and will try and use my winch as much as possible well before i ask for someone to take off down the track with a snatch strap attached to them .

I wouldn't be put off for winching. My Nissan (ARB Commercial) bar has 2x3mm plates holding the winch in place. It's designed for a static load.

Guys making recovery points for snatching are using 10mm steel plate. Significantly stronger for the significantly greater load. And even then, the 10mm steel plates can deform - we are talking very, very large loads.

I think the consistent negative vibes put against the concertina mounting system used by the bar has put me off... back to the drawing board. Might even give Opposite Lock a buzz tomorrow to see if they can shed some light on the reasoning behind reinforced mounting points up on the bar.

Opposite lock installed mine, including the recovery hooks. I figured that's what they were for considering the two bolts for the hooks line up perfectly.

Sorry to piss in your Wheaties , but i did want to do the same thing , and thats what stopped me too , and as for your bar , its probably made for a world wide market , where some are still solid mounted , in which case it would work perfectly

I wouldn't be put off for winching. My Nissan (ARB Commercial) bar has 2x3mm plates holding the winch in place. It's designed for a static load.

Guys making recovery points for snatching are using 10mm steel plate. Significantly stronger for the significantly greater load. And even then, the 10mm steel plates can deform - we are talking very, very large loads.

BUT !!!! if their still using snatch straps , my idea of slings would work , after all if the strap is strong enough , so is the sling

Sorry to piss in your Wheaties , but i did want to do the same thing , and thats what stopped me too , and as for your bar , its probably made for a world wide market , where some are still solid mounted , in which case it would work perfectly

Would rather nut it out first than go for it and then need replacement mounts :) All good mate.

I thought so too , its not going to do any damage , its pulling from behind the concertina plates , its using the chassis , and its got all the bullbar mounts holding the 2 small chassis slings , its not permanent , and offers some initial shock cushioning , just need someone to make the 2 small slings

You could make them from Dyneema Rope?? i have seen the rope used to replace bow shackles, and believe it or not form the testing that was done they were actually stronger!
I will dig up a bit of footage so you can have a watch.

LOL i reckon it was a brilliant idea , i smiled , patted myself on the back walked inside and had a beer , no brackets , no bolts , nothing to rip off the chassis , and utilizing the entire strength of the chassis and bullbar mounts

And now that you all know about my million dollar idea , when someone invents and patents it , can someone send me a rusty razor blade please

before you reach for the razor mate, have a look at this.
It could be an easy way for you to do exactly what you are saying only the rope wont have any elasticity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C8ZWRpUNPU&list=PLDEC93467E4AA63C9

Interesting, but it looks like it's designed for winching loads not the transient super-loading of a snatch recovery - it'd be something you'd want to take a few spares with you, and dispose of at the slightest sign of damage or wear.

Yes its very interesting ,but i would do mine in straap and you have exactly the idea iam on about , and realistically it would solve everyone's problems / worry's on the Navara , of all breeds , all it would entail is 5 mins of pre set up before you go bush , and no worrys about ripping anything off your chassis , or where to mount anything , send your $$$$$$ now lol

Interesting, but it looks like it's designed for winching loads not the transient super-loading of a snatch recovery - it'd be something you'd want to take a few spares with you, and dispose of at the slightest sign of damage or wear.

I dont think so Tony, from what i gather it is to be used in place of a bow shackle and all of the blocks people use in there tow hitches use bow shackles and you would also use them in place of shackles in any front recovery position with or with out an equaliser strap.
The good thing about them is how light they are and cheap considering you can buy a 40m 10mm rope off fleebay for around $180, which would make a shit load of those shackles.

Last edited:
If the rope will hold up to that sort of load, and if it's that inexpensive - sounds like a winner. It won't deform like steel, so you'd have to be very careful when inspecting it - a bent bow shackle is dead easy to spot, but internal fraying of the rope - maybe not as easy.

Well I spoke to OL for a bit today about the Xrox bar and those reinforced mounts on the front of the bull bar. According to Outback Accessories they are rated to be used as recovery points however OL made it clear that they don't recommend that. Instead they recommended these other points which still attach to the central part of the bull bar, however mount to the side of the central section where the wings are attached.

I think I am going to go with their recommendation. Outback Accessories are happy to recommend snatching from the bullbar according to OL. I will be using them as a last resort only though. But from what I have seen front recovery should only be a last resort unless you are using your winch! Even the standard mounting points for those chassis mounted recovery points (i.e. where the stock tow point is located) are located in-front of the crumple zone! Definitely not an ideal snatching location if you ask me!

Anyway, good chat guys - thanks for the input :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back