Redarc bcdc1220

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
redarc

A can-bus regulated alternator will drop well below the voltage required to keep the regular Redarc chargers turned on, thusly no charging.

I've never monitored the battery voltage over time in mine, so I can't say. I have seen it sitting at 14.1V for a while, but once the battery reaches nominal charge I don't know what it does because generally by then I've stopped monitoring.

I'll make a point of watching it. I don't isolate anyway - I invert and use a 240V charger, so my system won't be bothered by a can-bus controlled alternator.

I do believe that it IS controlled by the ECU, even in my 2009 model. But next time I go for a long drive, I'll take a look at the output and see if it drops below 13.2V (which is the upper trigger point, I believe, for those isolators).

If NOT Can-bus you can use the BCDC-1220 but if Can-bus controlled I will need to order a BCDC-1220-ign model.
Thanks

my 2010 d22 has been charging a std cranking batt plus 2 x 55 a/h optimas with a redarc solenoid with no problems so far
i am changing to a dc/dc 20amp redarc this week to get longer battery life
never heard of can-bus ?
hope i got the right charger

redarc

Before you purchase put a volt meter on the alternator output and drive the vehicle. Watch the voltage --If it drops below about 12 v you will need the BCDC 1220 Ign model. For exact specs go to the Redarc website. I won't have my new Navara until Sept. so will be checking mine then.

Any updates fellas on the redarc bcdc1220 and the whole canbus thing? I'm now looking it installing one of these instead of the normal redarc isolator I have already. I wad also looking at the ctek 250s dual dcdc charger. The ctek is also a mppt regulator for solar which would be brilliant for my solar panels.

Listening to the virtues of lithium batteries on the weekend (not sales talk), my question was regarding suitable DC to DC charges to suit my current needs and the potential needs of the future. If I ever go down the path of constructing a lithium battery system, it appears that I will need a charger with programmable outputs and none of the chargers mentioned will be suitable long term as they are not programmable.

Particularly in the case of the Redarc, it is a lot of money for something that might not be suitable but I'm still trying to find a viable alternative.

mines been in for a month or so now
its charging 2x 50 amp optima batteries
3 days at tuff trucks ,no worries
7 day road trip to vic ,camping along the way,no worries
we run fridge,lights,inverter,charge the sons rc cars(2.3 amp charge rate)
the most the voltage has shown is 14.1 v
after 3 days use it only went down to 12.1 and was fully charged again after a 3 hr drive
very happy with it

Last edited:
Interesting info--however can someone summarise why one should consider buying this product.

thanks

Been running a BC-1220 for a year with twin gels in the tray, great little unit

Just tough Id update this again, the unit is 2 years old now, still working a treat, Has kept my 2 deep cycle batteries in the tray in great condition. Top unit.

Back