removing side steps

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D.murdoch

Reaction score
i have ordered an arb rear step but decided not to get sliders and bars (if i do i will get scottys or make my own)

what are the pros and cons of removing the factory side steps has anyone got pictures

thanks

best to leave em on, they'll give your sills a bit of protection

they do give a bit of protection, but the 2006 D22 steps has two connection plates that have 4 bolts each into the floor pan of your ute. That is fine when you step on them, but if you take a "big" hit, it might be possible the plates push up or down thru your floor.

If you take them off, you'll need to bog up the holes that are left behind - do a bit of water crossings and you'll have 16 new holes in the floor to let more water into your cab.

After market sliders like Scotty's bolt round / clamp to the chassis, so when they take a bump, its holding onto the strongest bit of your ute.

Bit of protection plus a bit more water resistance rather than taking them off - til you get some new ones anyways! I'd leave them on too

Cheers!

Another train of thought is the higher clearance without. Might save pushing the steps. That said the sill is a bad place to dent as far as repairs go

I removed mine from my triton and never had an issue in 250,000 ks and ive removed my D-40 SIDE PLOUGHS as well, pics in garage , heaps more ground clearance and for those who cant be bothered looking the chassis is way below the sills and unless you hit a boulder side on , which would push the steps into your sill anyhow , your not likely to damage them

Expect plenty of stone chip damage to the sills, old mate at work took his off the Hilux and did a decent off road trip, he's regretted it ever since, the paint on the sills is ruined and need re painting, a set of sliders with checker plate would be great protection if they covered under the sills.

i have ordered an arb rear step but decided not to get sliders and bars (if i do i will get scottys or make my own)

what are the pros and cons of removing the factory side steps has anyone got pictures

thanks

Looked like a big pain in the arse to remove by unbolting to me, so I cut them off with angle grinder as close up to floor pan as I could, when I made sliders for mine.
If the steps ever go back on I will weld them where I cut them. Much easier, no holes etc.

When you take the bolts out of the flooe remember to fill the holes.........and the holes won't be the same size!

I bent a side step which pushed up into the sill. Took the sidesteps off and it looks cool but it is a nervous time out bush while you wait for the sliders. And the bent sidestep happened on a relatively small mound just north of Woods Point - I was shocked how easily it bent - and pushed intothe sill and left a small dent.

Last edited:
Expect plenty of stone chip damage to the sills, old mate at work took his off the Hilux and did a decent off road trip, he's regretted it ever since, the paint on the sills is ruined and need re painting, a set of sliders with checker plate would be great protection if they covered under the sills.

Its not that bad really , remember the poverty pack rx don't have them in any case , nor do most other marques base models

I filled the holes with rubber grommets when I removed the side steps. I think they call them blind grommets(?), same as the grommets you would use to put wiring through the firewall etc. except they have no hole through the middle.

I filled the holes with rubber grommets when I removed the side steps. I think they call them blind grommets(?), same as the grommets you would use to put wiring through the firewall etc. except they have no hole through the middle.

Top idea, siliconed in place they'd never give any trouble unless they took a direct hit which would be pretty rare.

Yep just put grommets in them. The holes aren't round. You can squish them in to place but instead of using silicon I would use sicoflex. That stuffs like bird shit and will never come off. Unless you plan on selling your side steps, you could just sicoflex the top plates in too.

Removed mine today 'looks sweet as' Very happy. Now thinking about some rock sliders from 'scottybobcat'after Christmas. Cheers ''I LIKE TO CUSTOMISE'', ''WHAT MORE CAN I SAY''

image-1093422810.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back