Removing the EGR pipe

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timcyn7

Reaction score
I have been through a few "egr threads" and i havnt seen much on removing the whole egr pipe instead of blocking it. I thought i seen a post ages ago where someone removed it and blocked both end?
Just wanted to get some info on it and what size plate to use etc?

i removed mine because it broke. its just more work to remove it and risk of snapping the studs in the manifold so most people don't bother unless they have to.

I have been through a few "egr threads" and i havnt seen much on removing the whole egr pipe instead of blocking it. I thought i seen a post ages ago where someone removed it and blocked both end?
Just wanted to get some info on it and what size plate to use etc?

Its in the sticky above.Also has anybody thought of putting a small radiator in place of the egr tube?say a motor cycle radiator?

Its in the sticky above.Also has anybody thought of putting a small radiator in place of the egr tube?say a motor cycle radiator?

Couldn't see the point of that but a small tube heat exchanger with an external water supply for long hot showers in the bush would be nice. As long as the flow of water thru that part of coolant circuit was enough to heat it. .

egr doesn't work unless your driving (no egr flow = no heat). taking a hot shower while driving might be entertaining ;)

fitting a cooler on the egr line (water cooled egr as per most common rail engines these days) certainly helps with temps (tho temps are not really a problem), but it would increase egr flow and make the engine run much worse.

a dpf filter on the egr line would be better. clean the crap out of the gas flow before putting it into the intake.

Better if its not even going in there at all.block the port on the exhaust manifold and keep waste gas where it belongs.

Unless im getting it all wrong,the EGR tube is connected to the cooling sys to cool the gases flowing though egr before they befowl our motor again.Hugh

egr doesn't work unless your driving (no egr flow = no heat). taking a hot shower while driving might be entertaining ;)

fitting a cooler on the egr line (water cooled egr as per most common rail engines these days) certainly helps with temps (tho temps are not really a problem), but it would increase egr flow and make the engine run much worse.

a dpf filter on the egr line would be better. clean the crap out of the gas flow before putting it into the intake.

Err we are discussing no egr tube.Hugh

Gets hot here in au,every little bit helps esp on long slow climbs.
egr is off at full throttle so it adds no heat when you have the boot in it up a hill.
but that dosn't answer why you would want a radiator in the egr tube as it will make the engine run worse. to run a cooled egr system you have to design the whole system for it as the cooling increase the egr amount, which is why most late model engines run cooled egr systems.

Unless im getting it all wrong,the EGR tube is connected to the cooling sys to cool the gases flowing though egr before they befowl our motor again.Hugh
only on the yd25. zd30 didn't have cooled egr.

Err we are discussing no egr tube.Hugh
i was replying to Tappets post above about hooking a hot shower system to the egr cooler.

What I was on about was using the engine coolant in and out pipes that go to the EGR cooler to plumb thru a small heat exchanger to heat water.

Once the EGR tube complete with it's inbuilt cooler is removed it would be a good location to mount a small heat exchanger.

What I was on about was using the engine coolant in and out pipes that go to the EGR cooler to plumb thru a small heat exchanger to heat water.

Once the EGR tube complete with it's inbuilt cooler is removed it would be a good location to mount a small heat exchanger.

i get ya now.
should work, would have to check the water circuit to be sure tho.

Latest posts

Back