Removing tow ball

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alphabet

Reaction score
I have a Nissan factory tow bar and I can't not remove the tow ball, I have tried everything... Sprayed wd40... Even brought anti seize stuff home from the mine that works on everything. Recently we hook a forklift up to it with a chain... Didn't budge! Next step us to eat ut up and try that way.... Will this weaken it in anyway? Any other ideas?:devil:

Alphabet ... is it the hitch your trying to remove, or the tow ball?

If its the hitch (if you've used a forklift to try to pull it out), sounds like its rusted into the receiver.

i guess heating it and using a damm big hammer in turn until it finally works its way loose.

Failing that ... replace the tow bar in total.

My tow ball tongue was difficult to remove as well, I assume that you have undone the retaining bolt under the receiver?. Once this is done several large taps with a suitable hammer might do I used my recovery hitch the heaviest thing I had at the time.

If you mean hitch, take the towbar off and use a press to push it out. Refit the towbar.

If you mean ball, use the biggest double hammer rattle gun you can get your hands on.

Sorry guys, yes It's the hitch. Dion I'm not sure if there all the same but mine is sealed up at the back which has probably contributed to it getting seized and yes tills undone the retaining bolt and gave it some " generous taps" with a sledge hammer....nothing. I only want to remove it Woody for another possible recovery point.... Maybe I will just come up with another option... Be nice to get it out though.

I would keep squirtn it every time you think of it n TAP n go again in a while. Warm heat ( no colour ) won't harm it but you would heat the sleeve not the hitch.

heat then cool a few times
keep tapping (not too hard) with hammer while it cools
failing that you might need to press it out
good luck

I just went through my garage looking for my 600mm shifting spanner so I could lend it to you but I think it's in the shed out the back ... now I read it's the hitch.

Heat the outside of the hitch and don't heat the receiver. I'd resist the urge to try hauling it out with a chain/strap because if it suddenly lets go, you have both a freed towball and a heavy missile in flight. If it's rusted in place, tapping it INWARDS will also help loosen the rust and once it starts moving, it should come out without trouble.

Failing that, I'd use Dion's advice. A press will slowly and SURELY remove it.

You may be able to use a bottle jack pushing inside the receiver, depends if you can get it in there and if there's anything to push against.

A mate of mine had a similar issue with his hilux. He just chained the hitch to a tree and drove off.
It worked a treat, but not sure if it may cause more damage if it won't budge...

I did that with the forklift but didn't go to hard for the same reason. I sprayed it with WD40 and belted it with a sledge today and got it moving side to side. I'm going to stick with woody's plan, a little every day and hopefully it's out.

hmmm thats wierd. maybe some pictures to show us where its jammed?

im lil worried its gonna do more dmaage then good :S. but i hope you get it out.

Goodluck
Rusty

yea just keep spraying wd40 on it every night, had the same problem with removing the magneto on my dirtbike, took 3 nights worth before it popped out

mine took a 4.7 tonne strongback. 3 tonne ratchet block. 10t lifting strop. a welder with a massive hammer and me riding the brakes. (gearbox in neutral, as tension crompressed suspension down to stops.)

Mine was full of flood debris from Toowoomba flood waters. Stupid thing about the reciever is the front end is open allowing anything and everything to lodge in there.

mine took a 4.7 tonne strongback. 3 tonne ratchet block. 10t lifting strop. a welder with a massive hammer and me riding the brakes. (gearbox in neutral, as tension crompressed suspension down to stops.)

Mine was full of flood debris from Toowoomba flood waters. Stupid thing about the reciever is the front end is open allowing anything and everything to lodge in there.

Is that all. LOL

+1 for oxy heating. My old man's truck had the hitch rusted in and we tried WD40 and hammer, I chained my truck and his and tried to pull it out and all I did was tow the pajero backwards. We eventually got my cousin to bring his gear over and we welded a thick plate to the underside of the hitch and while he heated the sleave we took turns bashing the plate with a sledge hammer until it came out. (The hitch was being replaced anyway).

I tend to NEVER leave a hitch in the receiver. Its just too easy for some nuff nuff to come along a pull it out (unless its rusted in of course ... lol)

I swap over hitch's on a regluar basis. Off-road hitch for the camper trailer, standard hitch for a box trailer or my boat, recovery hitch for all those eager to follow when i go off road. (the later is great for retreiving navara's with stock tyres that follow me off road - aint that right bravobrad?)

Latest posts

Back