Replacing D40 Oil Filters

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siringo

Reaction score
Did my 3rd one today.

I reckon I need some education. I can't get the new filter not to leak, unless I swing like bloody Hercules off it and tighten it up so tight I may as well weld the bloody thing on.

What am I doing wrong???

Am I overtightening it???

Last time I put it on, I did it up as I tight as I could by hand, then tightened it about 1/2 a turn with a filter wrench. The bloody thing leaked like sieve.

Any advice out there?????

I really hate these things.

You gotta clean the surface it sits on cause there's no drain for it like d22 patrol ect ect. Make sure old seal comes off lube new one degrease the shit out of it.

Clean the surface really well, as Hatchy said, then a light smear of oil on the rubber seal and hand tighten down should work. Maybe your vehicle has a problem with the housing, or the filter you are using?

I know there's a, not sure what it's called, but a retainer or a 'dam' area if you like around the base of where the filter sits.

Does this fill up with oil??? I remember reading that on the older YD25 motors this 'dam' had a leak hole, but the newer motors don't.

I've never cleaned the surface of where the filter contacts, I've only ever just screwed on the new filter.

So I need to clean the area that contacts with the rubber seal on the filter and make sure there's no crap or oil there.

Do you really reckon just hand tight will seal it if it's all clean???

Sorry for the dumb questions, but I do this on my back squished under the ute, it's not real comfortable.

Is engine oil OK to use on the rubber seal??? Just a light smear???

So, take off the old filter. Squirt degreaser down onto the area from above (but not into the centre area), clean it all out, apply oil onto the rubber seal and tighten.

That's it???

Thanks guys, I won't to get this right as it can save me a few $100's.

Thanks again.

just undo the filter, make sure your rubber seal is on the new one smear some engine oil on the seal and screw it back on hand tight, don't over tighten because it will be a **** to get off.

iv come across this many of times cos the filter sits up dirt and grass get up ther and it will be under the seal of the new filter so remove it and clean the filter housing serface and get a new filter cos you will have dirt in the one you have fitted now

I'd recommend degreasing it before you take the old one off. Don't do it without a filter on there because you will blow any shit on the housing straight into the more...

Then when you remove the old one just wipe it all down with a rag so it's clean, lube the gasket on the new one with a bit of oil from the bottle you are going to fill the motor with and then hand tight plus 1/4 turn once the gasket touches the housing is the usual amount of tightness. (If that's a word..)

Do you have the YD25 2.5L diesel? How are you getting access to the oil filter? It's in the most inconvenient position I've ever worked on a car.

Do you have the YD25 2.5L diesel? How are you getting access to the oil filter? It's in the most inconvenient position I've ever worked on a car.

Amen to that.. It's almost a requisite to visit the physio after fitting one due to the angles you have to get your body into..

And if the last person TIGHTENED it on - a whole new language of swear words is invented! :)

Noooooo.....it's in a perfect spot if you have hands the size of a 10 year old, double jointed wrists, 3 elbows on one arm, and can levitate...

Back on topic, I give the "dam" a good wipe out with a rag once the old filter is removed. Soak up any oil that has stayed once the filter is removed, and generally just give the filter-mount a quick eyeball to check for anything amiss.

It's not a good spot, but I'm sure there are worse. You have to wonder, with everything designed on a computer and this item being regularly replaced, you'd have thought it would have been placed in an easier location.

Funny this thread re-emerged, I have 1500 k's until the next oil change.....

The biggest problem with the filter is the rarity in which it gets changed, most of us probably only do it twice a year and we forget the positions we were in when we got it off last time. If it was a job you did every day you'd get to remember everything about your movements and hand placement and removing it would be a piece of piss.

What are your techniques for removing the filter?

I go in from underneath. Behind the front wheel, on my back under the ute. Reach up and spin the filter off. It's a bit of a reach, but I have arms like a big orange sumatran ape so it helps.

Worst part (and this is a blatant whinge because it's not what I would call a struggle) is to slide out from under the ute, into the engine bay to wipe out the filter housing, before sliding back underneath and installing the new filter.

I do mine over a pit, I once tried to remove it whilst lying under the car and vowed never again. It's still a bit awkward standing up underneath the car to do it but I find it easier and swear less.

I'd like a service pit Krafty, but the bloody Mrs refuses to dig one. I told her I'd buy her a new second hand spade from the tip shop...

Digging one in the backyard could be fun, in the wet months you could change the filter and have a bath at the same time.

My mate runs a heavy vehicles workshop, without his workshop I'd probably have to reconsider doing my filters. The day I worked out I couldn't lay on the ground and get the filter I ended up putting oil in the engine and driving the car 25ks just to use the pit.

Back