Rev's Surging

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Righto so the surging is back big time. Nav is way down on power, was struggling to drive up fire trail hills yesterday. Pulled the NPS out all together, didnt make any difference. Then it came good for a bit, wasnt surging just had bugger all power and wanted to stall whenever i loaded it up trying to crawl. Then the surging came back. It would struggle to run blowing heaps of smoke then all of a sudden come good again and full of power. Then itd struggle again and this time itd just stall, even with foot on clutch. was a very slow process getting it back to the car trailer. Im going to change out the pump but could it be an electrical issue aswell????

the surging is normally dropping revs so i guess it could be one of them underfueling. Ill have a look at all the conections thanks.

Not a blocked banjo fitting filter on the injector pump is it? Or do they not have them in the d22s? I know it was a fairly common problem on the zd30 patrols

Last edited:
Not a blocked banjo fitting filter on the injector pump is it? Or do they not have them in the d22s? I know it was a fairly common problem on the zd30 patrols

nah thats on the TD42 patrols.

have you checked fuel supply from tank? bit of crap in the tank blocking the feed.
otherwise i would suspect the injection pump. i think someone had similar symptoms on the UK forum and it was the IP's electronics.

forgot to mention when i turn the lift pump off the car wont run. Im halfway through changing the injector pump, man is it hard to get out. also the timing was 3 links out!!!! wtf??? then taking it to nissan tomorrow arvo to read the error codes.

yeah looks like it was the lift pump doing all the work, so im guessing the injector pump lift pump is flogged out.

do you have a bypass fitted around the lift pump?
most pumps will block or restrict flow when they are not running. hence turn pump off and it won't go.

it would be fairly rare to have the IP lift pump to fail.
possibly a bit of crap has got in and jammed one of the pressure valves.
the most common mechanical problem is generally the timing mech wearing out the housing.

attachment.php

ip lift pump

Attachments

• sizeimage6.jpg
    sizeimage6.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 126
Nah didnt have a by pass. Ive got the new pump in now, just cant get it to start. The banjo fitting on the intake is leaking like a siv, tried new copper washers, didnt work, just got some fabric ones see if that does anything. Ive by passed the normal fuel filter incase its sucking in air there. Gota wait for the battery to recharge now so i can try again.

Turns out the electrics on the pump were fried.... $3000 dollars later i have a new pump to put on tomorrow that hopefully works. Turns out every year model ZD30 has a different pump and they are NOT interchangable so be very carefull when buying one. After tuff truck the ZD30 will be pulled out and sold if anyone is interested in a cheap motor. less then 30,000kms on the motor.

did you look at getting the electrics replaced?
there is a crowd somewhere that replaces the electronics in the pump.

they said its not uncommon, could have been from jumpstarting or bad earth etc.
they reckoned its a full rebuild to replace electronics in it anyway. I needed one asap so had to make a quick discion, didnt chase it too much.

joshy said:
they said its not uncommon, could have been from jumpstarting or bad earth etc.
they reckoned its a full rebuild to replace electronics in it anyway. I needed one asap so had to make a quick discion, didnt chase it too much.

It's true. Full rebuild. Usually looking at around $1900+ gst though. $300 it's pretty steep...

Back