roof tents

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim.duncan

Reaction score
Hey guys

well i quickely getting sucked into the world of four wheel driving, the wife came home tonight and she had bought me a 4x4 magazine.

was having a flick through it and she really likes the idea of the tents that are monted on the roof that fold out.

any one using one of these? they any good?

the car im looking at getting has roof racks, but only on the roof (twin cab d22) i was wanting to installe a high top canopy. Do i have to have tray roof racks? and can i still have a high top canopy or will ot have to be flat roof?

I like the idea too, but apparently they suck a bit because climbing up into them over and over again is a pain. I can see how that would get old fast

There are some issues you need to be aware of with them.

First, your vehicle height - don't forget it when you go into car parks.

Second, the roof (and canopy roof) have weight limits. You have to add the weight of the people and the roof tent and stay under the capacity of your roof.

Third, as Dion said, climbing in and out would get tiresome.

However - on the bright side - they provide you with more freedom of movement since you don't have to tow anything. You'll pay a small penalty in fuel economy, but you could do the CSR without too much worry providing you can fit the fuel in the tub (a long-range tank is just about mandatory for that trip).

I agree with Tony and Dion.

We have opted for a camper trailer, as we are more inclined to take a lot of stuff with us (family of 3) and would prefer base camping most of the time, and then exploring track local to where we camp.

But it is still possible to do touring with a camper trailer, you just make sure u dont unpack too much crap in the evening, so there is not too much to repack next morning.

I am finding the NAV to be a really good tow vehicle, so i'm not too worried about the weight of the trailer behind me. So far there has only been ONE track i would not take the camper trailer on - that was a steep decline with heaps of tight switchbacks. I needed to do 3 point turns on most of the corners. Would have been virtualy impossible with a 4m trailer.

But, the roof top tent would be great for a couple who want to do some exploring and not to stay in one place too long. It would give you a great amount of freedom whereas a trailer would start to limit you. I think it comes down to a personal choice of how and where you plan to go.

Also, needs change. You may well enjoy a roof top tent for a few years, then upgrade to a camper tailer, and then eventually upgrade again to a off-road caravan.

I've heard that they can sway in even light breezes, so can start to feel off colour from the motion. would imaging that being a little boozey would only increase that feeling.

Also if you wanted to stay somewhere for longer than 1 night you have to pack up your camp if you want to go exploring during the day. Oh, and you cant arive at camp grounds, chuck up the tent to save the spot, go somewhere and return to your camp already set up.

I'd still like to try one out though. have you thought about hiring one before buying to see if it would suit you? might be a good idea.

Last edited:
Will, what about stabilising the vehicle? Like we use stabilising legs on caravans, why not have something similar for the vehicle too?

Jack stands would be one way of doing it cheaply. With the vehicle stable, the floor of the tent should also be rock steady. Booze on!

Will, what about stabilising the vehicle? Like we use stabilising legs on caravans, why not have something similar for the vehicle too?

Jack stands would be one way of doing it cheaply. With the vehicle stable, the floor of the tent should also be rock steady. Booze on!

yeah good idea, but adds a bit of extra effort and equipment. maybe a few Quells or travelcalm might be the go.

for me going solo in a swag is better and if traveling with the Mrs a dome tent. but looking at getting an Oz Tent something like an RV4 or RV5.

I've heard that they can sway in even light breezes, so can start to feel off colour from the motion. would imaging that being a little boozey would only increase that feeling.

we have that problem with the camper trailer too.

Also if you wanted to stay somewhere for longer than 1 night you have to pack up your camp if you want to go exploring during the day. Oh, and you cant arive at camp grounds, chuck up the tent to save the spot, go somewhere and return to your camp already set up.

Really good point.
Setting up the camp site (as in base camp senario), and being able to come back to the same spot knowing you can sit back and relax is good. But if you come back to find your spot taken, you then have to find somewhere else to go (worse if you camping as a group). BUT thats not a problem if your travelling and NOT base camping.

I'd still like to try one out though. have you thought about hiring one before buying to see if it would suit you? might be a good idea.

great idea i reckon.

cheers guys lots to think about.

will i have to get roof racks in the cannopy (twin cab)? or is just 2 on the roof of the car enough?

it will only be me and the missus using the tent on quick little get aways so the base camp thing would not be much of an issue. if im out surfing with the lads i would just take the swag.

where abouts would you hire one from?

cheers guys lots to think about.

will i have to get roof racks in the cannopy (twin cab)? or is just 2 on the roof of the car enough?

it will only be me and the missus using the tent on quick little get aways so the base camp thing would not be much of an issue. if im out surfing with the lads i would just take the swag.

where abouts would you hire one from?

TIM

I only remember seeing them on canopy's, especially if your getting a high roof canopy.

The racks that go on canopy's usually have additional support inside, so the weight on the racks are carried through to the top of the tub.

IF you didn't have a canopy, i'm sure you could get them installed over the cab.

WEIGHT issues ...
This is something that has been mentioned ... i know that there are weight max loads to place on cabin of vehicle, and also the canopy manufacturers would also have weight limitations.
Q.s
Is the weight limitation for driving only? (probably comes under vehicles spec's)
AND/OR
Is there a seperate limiting weight for static use (ie 2 people sleeping in roof tent)

I can understand why there is a weight limitation for whilst the vehicle is underway (stability issues), but do you really need to consider the weight of 2 people sleeping in the roof top tent whilst the vehicle is stationery?

I used one on a trip around Australia. (see avatar pic)
You need a really strong roof rack and canopy, 2 people + sleeping gear+tent could be more than 200kg. I used a custom roof rack on top of a steel canopy.
I didn't have any problems with the truck shaking but the slightest breeze did make the canvas windows flap badly which was annoying. Undoing the zip to fold out the tent was also a PITA, as was packing up, basically could only leave very thin bedding, heavy blankets just wouldn't let it fold up properly and been a short ass I really needed a step ladder to reach it.
I got back from our trip and sold it for a oztent. It also has issues, such as difficult to carry and store, slightest breeze knocks it over, so not really 30secs because you have to peg it out anyway, but the quality is fantastic and I can attach it to the awning which is really handy.
I still think the best touring tent is a single centre pole canvas style.

the reason i ask is the roof has racks but im putting the canopy on, just need to work out if i need to factor in racks with a canopy. I dont really want to put racks on the back.

i see your point with the weight, interesting.

just tried to look up the roof weight recomendations on nissan web site - but could not find it.

I'm not sure on teh roof weight, but speaking to a guy at TJM he said my canopy was rated to 100kgs. its an Alpha brand - not that important. what he did say was that usually the load carrying capacity is 1/3 (one third) the max stationary load capacity. therefore i can only load my canopy with 100kgs whilst driving but if it is not moving i can put up to 300kg p there without dramas.

I doubt you could put 50kg on the Nissan roof racks while 4WD with doing damage.

Someone on here was talking about fitting a tent on the hardtop, I think this would be a better option, more pratical if you don't need the xtra space of a canopy.

If I recall correctly, the max roof loading (over cabin) is 95Kg - and that would be a mobile figure, not stationary. I would definitely agree that stationary you could increase the load.

If that increases to 3x, I'd go to a max of 240kg up there to give it some margin for error.

I fell out of ours at a caravan park, Hurt like buggery, made some pissed backpackers night though, every time they seen me they screamed laughing, and even re-enacted it in slow motion for those that missed it. I had the bruises and mental scars for a good 2 weeks.

Another reason why I sold it.

There are a few companies that make tents that sit just on top of the tray, not over the roof. Still gives a bit of room in the tray but is just under the roof of the cabin, so aerodynamics wouldn't suffer as much. I will try to find a link. Had a look at one myself earlier today.

Back