sand in the A/C spain D40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myo13b

Reaction score
Hi all

When I first bought my D40 my wife and I took it onto the beach for a bit of fun and to take the dogs for a run. I decided to have a bit of fun and do some moderate speed turns on the sand. after I had done this there was a some sand over the bonnet that I took little notice of. when we headed back onto the blacktop we turned the A/C on heaps of sand came through the vents, then a couple of days later we had the dual A/C mixer jam so one side was constantly hot and the other worked fine. we took it to nissan and they pulled the dash apart and fixed it under warranty. I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this issue and if they had come up with a modification for it. because I almost had it happen again not long ago. I got wedged between two small sand dunes tried to reverse a bit and the front R/H wheel spun sand up and over onto the bonnet. Again sand went through the A/C but we got lucky no problem with jamming this time.

I had a look at the setup its not the greatest it would seem that anything that ends up in the trap has nowhere else to go but through your A/C fan. I was thinking maybe cut a 2lt milk carton up and sillconing it around the hole like a wall. Any other thoughts would be appriciated.

Thanks

You need A/C cabin filters, there is a thread in here somewhere that explains what they are and how to fit them.

But get em off Fleabay, the trade price I just got quoted from Nissan is a joke. $35 each, you can hunt them off ebay for less than that a pair and they come in the genuine Nissan box.

The filters are $30 at Repco or Auto 1. I wonder why it didn't have em fitted in the first place? Can't have had for the sand to get through, is my thinking. Nissan must surely have fitted em when the warranty work was done eh? Or it would have damaged it again?
Like I said, only my thinkin!!!!
Oh,,,They are called Pollen, or Cabin Filters.

Pollen filters are not fitted until the 20K service in Australia and quite often then only fitted if done at Nissan. The discussion has come up before and no one really knows why it is so but unless the later models have changed it's just not something that is done unless it is requested.

Handy to know. After the fact.
Cause you wouldn't come across pollen or sand in the first 20k.
Lucky we can rely on each other. Thanks Krafty.
No wonder they repaired it under warranty.

Just a few hours ago I priced them at Nissan, figured if the trade price was close to ebay I'd consider them but I've seen genuine ones for as low as $30 a pair with free postage and there was no way I was paying $35 each for them even if Nissan do deliver to me.

I personally don't think they make any difference but just like so many other things it's a matter of opinion. I do however think it sucks they don't bother installing them for the first 20K but seem to think they are a required change over part every 20K after. I'd love to see just how many people who've had their Nav's serviced by Nissan are still missing the filters given that they aren't something that stops the car and they aren't something the average Joe is going to go looking for unless they know about it.

Mmmm, me too. I found mine on a thread here after Nissan wanted $135 fitted during the service. I opted out n looked it up. Got em out n guess what? They are washable, mine went to the Kimberly and was still able to wash em.

I get all my filters cleaned and usually have two floating around so while one is off at the cleaners there is always a clean one around. I don't suppose Pollen filters would be any different but I sure as hell wouldn't be buying a spare set if I paid Nissan prices.

Thanks I will look them up and no they still did not install one, I pulled the plastic covers off the other day its still just a gaping hole straight into the fan. I m thinking of going to lake eyre while its full so need one asap.

Hi All
FYI, make sure if you get someone else to change them, they replace both as my D40 had only one fitted when I checked them.
Regards
Jacko

The book does state there is two and the few times I have asked Nissan about then even the nufti at the counter knew there was 2 required. If you only got one I'd suggest you found a new level of nufti.

Latest posts

Back