SCA 12AMP Smart Charger

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

KraftyPg

I brought one of these last week
charger.gif

sorry about the crappy B&W pic but I couldn't be bothered taking photos and there isn't many websites with pics. For those interested it's yellow and black and in the same section at all the other chargers at SCA.

Why did I buy one of these rather than one of the UTEK smart chargers (or the like). 2 reasons, 1 price and 2 I only need to charge 12V lead acid batteries so all I needed was a 3 stage charger that would charge my 190ah battery when needed and the cranking battery if needed.

For different applications we've made smart chargers for everything from our 1.5v batteries up to 12v gel cells but the $79.00 (mates rates) price tag this thing came with meant that buying the parts and spending time building another charger just wasn't worth it. I'm not usually a huge fan of SCA stuff but this time it's not a bad little unit.

This thing (like many others) does the 3 stage charging where it will pump 12 amps into a flat battery until it's about 70% then drop down to about 8amps up to 90% and then drop down again to about 2 amps and continue trickle charging until the charger is removed. Although it's got a digital read out I also monitored the volts and amps with my meter and the digital read out was suprising close to accurate (within .1 of a volt and .2 of an amp) which makes it fairly accurate for those without meters.

My 190ah was sitting at about 12.0v when I started the charging cycle and within an hour or so (I wasn't accurately keeping time) the charge rate had gone down to below 4amps and it was a gradual drop to 1amp as the charger maintained the voltage in the battery. The on board fan operated for about 30 seconds every 5 mins or so but the unit never overheated.

For the times where a swift kick in the goolies is needed the auto circuit can be overridden and the charger will charge at a constant 12 8 or 2 amps depending on the settings chosen. There is also a recon circuit where the charger tries to recondition a possibly suspect battery by trying to maintain a certain terminal voltage for a full period of 24 hours, I haven't tried this yet as I have no need but the theory behind it is acceptable so I've no doubt it would work as expected.

Overall this charger is a cheap option that preforms more than adequately for most lead acid batteries (from 9AH upwards). I actually went in to buy the 10amp Calibre charger SCA had in their cattledog last week for $89 ($99 online) but they had none in stock and this was the only one they had and with a special price of $99 and it wasn't worth waiting till after easter to get the 10amp one ordered in. RRP for these if you can believe SCA advertising is about $130ish so at that price they are probably closer in price to some of the others out there so they might only be a bargain until the specials go off sale.

Wow it's been 2 years almost to the day since I brought this charger (according to the date stamp on the above post) and to be honest I've never really given it much of a test. We've used it once to resurrect the old Kubota battery but usually I whack it on my Aux once every 12 months, the old man whacks it on his collection of batteries every now and again and the rest of the time it just sits in the garage collecting dust and being dropped on the floor when it gets in the way.

However the today I have given it a bit of a test with an 18Ah battery I've been using to power the car radio in the office, and for it's price this thing beats just about anything else I've seen or made. Forget $100 or more for a 3 stage charger, this thing has been working like a dream on this little battery.

Not once has it made the battery hot so it's accurately sensed the charge rate of the battery and charged it from flat on automatic without intervention and sitting almost idle pumping 0.1A into the battery to maintain it's level. I knew the thing worked fairly well on big bastard batteries but working on this one has been a good bonus that I never originally brought it for.

SCA Battery Charger 2,8,12 amp

I have owned one of these chargers for about 12 months now, it does exactly what it should do. However I have lost my instruction manual, can someone please tell me what a 'F05' error means. I have been charging a 120Ah battery for 24 hours, when it stopped this was displayed 'F05'. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Welcome to the forums, no idea if you a Nav owner or not but by sheer arse I managed to find my manual.

According to the manual
F05 means the battery does not go into float charge after being charged for 24 hours.

Cause: The Battery charging current is too low, choose the higher (non automatic) current rate to charge the battery
or
the battery is faulty.

I'd be checking the battery and begin a monitoring phase by upping the charge rate to 12A. Even on manual settings the charger will raise and lower the current rate as required and it may only sit at 12A for 5-10 mins (which will do a 120Ah battery no harm at all). Monitor it over an hour or so and see how the current and terminal voltage changes, use a multimeter if you have one although I have found that the display on mine is accurate. With luck the charger will eventually change back stage by stage until it's back to 2A or below by which time you could try it back on automatic and see if it floats.

But bear in mind even on manual this charger will drop current as required (and not over charge the battery) and enter float stage if the battery can handle it so switching it off automatic does not mean you have to do more work, it simply gives you a little more control when you are monitoring a suspect battery or want to kick one in the guts.

A few months back a Supercheap store had a trolley of junk they were flogging cheap & I picked what I think was a discontinued SCA battery charger (I am sure it was a battery charger, just not sure if it was discontinued). Already have one that I shuffle around the shed on vehicles that don't get used much so thought another one might be a good idea.

I can't remember how many amps it was but it was smaller than your one Krafty and the little bastard sounded like a 747, well maybe a Fokker on takeoff.
Really the fan was that loud I thought this thing is going to have a very short life.

Anyway stuck it on one of the cars & a very long time later it was still in "takeoff" mode & charging. Switched it off and on at the wall & it went into float mode. Coincidence?

Anyway thought I would charge the quad bike. Forgot about it & 3 days later went back and that little pr!ck was still trying to "takeoff". Boiled the clacka out of the little battery. In fairness there was a warning about the minimum size battery it should charge so stuck in on another car battery which confirmed it was stuffed.

Took it back to Supercheap & has always been my experience, money back without question.

Digressing even further, I bought a soldering iron from the same mob and in the matter of a few minutes it stopped working. Took it back for a replacement & that one also died soon after turning it on. Had to visit my sister in Canberra & like a tool, I took the broken soldering iron with me & had it replaced by Supercheap in Fyshwick. Again no question about wtf was I returning a soldering iron from a Melbourne store in Fyshwick. Now while I can't be sure, it appears that the soldering irons were burning out because I allowed the metal part of the iron to touch the concrete floor. Maybe the theory does not make sense but I have had zero problems since & never rested the iron on the ground.

Sorry to butcher the OP with such OT crap.

Last edited:
anything with a branding of "smart" automatically brings fear now...

smart= explosions...fire.....bad..:confused2:

I can't remember how many amps it was but it was smaller than your one Krafty and the little bastard sounded like a 747, well maybe a Fokker on takeoff.
Really the fan was that loud I thought this thing is going to have a very short life.

Anyway stuck it on one of the cars & a very long time later it was still in "takeoff" mode & charging. Switched it off and on at the wall & it went into float mode. Coincidence?

Not that it matters because you have gotten rid of it but in my testing and playing the fan is not actually a thermo fan and doesn't operate only when the charger is getting hot, it seems to operate on several different timers, anything over 4A and it stays on anything under 4A and it operates for about 30 seconds to a minute every 5 minutes, below 1A and it operates for about 15 seconds every 5 minutes or so.

And that seems to happen despite the heat, I've run mine the in the back of the ute inside the garage with sees temps get well over 40 degrees and the fan operating hasn't changed much at all.

anything with a branding of "smart" automatically brings fear now...

smart= explosions...fire.....bad.

Yeah but when the other option is to use the same circuitry and put it in a plastic box with Ctek written on it and charge over $200 I can ignore the term smart. The old man ran this thing for 48 hours straight (he monitors his batteries more than I do but he also has more of them) and it never went up in flames.

Besides in this case "smart" is just a term for stupid people, anyone with technical knowledge would call it "trickle charge" or "float charge", which is the same technology we've been using to make chargers for the last 20 years.

Not that it matters because you have gotten rid of it but in my testing and playing the fan is not actually a thermo fan and doesn't operate only when the charger is getting hot, it seems to operate on several different timers, anything over 4A and it stays on anything under 4A and it operates for about 30 seconds to a minute every 5 minutes, below 1A and it operates for about 15 seconds every 5 minutes or so.

And that seems to happen despite the heat, I've run mine the in the back of the ute inside the garage with sees temps get well over 40 degrees and the fan operating hasn't changed much at all.

Besides in this case "smart" is just a term for stupid people, anyone with technical knowledge would call it "trickle charge" or "float charge", which is the same technology we've been using to make chargers for the last 20 years.

OK,
just dont mount it on a chipboard panel and be weary of high voltage spikes.

Why would anyone mount it on a chipboard panel?

As for high voltage spikes it's not like a charger would be any more or less susceptible to them than any other item in the house.

Ok, seems I've lost you...will have to delete the OT posts above..

i was relating "smart" with smart meters...HV spike.....BANG.....FIRE....

"Smart" being the key relating the two items.

sorry.

Nah don't bother it's not like they worry me.

Smart meters aren't an issue to us yet, yeah we hear about them and don't want them but they aren't being installed down here so it's not surprising I missed the joke. If the bastards do install one here I hope they kill all the red backs in the meter box while they are at it.

Nah don't bother it's not like they worry me.

Smart meters aren't an issue to us yet, yeah we hear about them and don't want them but they aren't being installed down here so it's not surprising I missed the joke. If the bastards do install one here I hope they kill all the red backs in the meter box while they are at it.

Oh, you will get one, I can assure you...

I would like not to have one too but if you knew how much infrastructure and money has been completed and spent, I find it hard to imagine it will stop.

Yeah I can't see it stopping, there is one guy recently who fought and won his case to not have one installed but typically there is an appeal and he will probably loose that.

Like the NBN though we are in the lap of the gods, we know it will happen but no ones offering up dates.

Latest posts

Back