Second Deep Cycle Options

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The dc-dc charger is what i decided. Didn't want to. with wires like that. Plus ill take it out for my next car etc etc... Might call the place Monday where i got my isolator and let them know they sold me a product that was not ever going to work in model car. I told them what car it was. Very frustrating
They should of done a voltage test to determine if it was fitted with a smart alternator or not as some D40's don't. But I see your frustration, I guess many "shops" would be unaware of it's suitability for your particular vehicle and are just after a sale.
John

^ The "smart" alternator is a relatively new feature. European models have had it on their Navaras since the early 16th century, we got it here in Australia in about 2011. It's no surprise that the average person in an auto parts store doesn't know about it unless they have a specific, special (most likely personal because they had the issue themselves) interest in smart alternators.

The DC-DC charger that you're choosing to use will actually charge the battery better than an isolator AND it will allow you to add a solar panel at a later stage. However, there's a couple of tricks in using it with a smart alternator (so you might consider disengaging that green wire anyway).

First, if you DON'T also have a solar panel, you need to connect the car's power to the SOLAR input, not the normal input. This is because the solar input will self-regulate and better manage the incoming power if the voltage is lower.

If you DO have a solar panel, you'll need to use a SPDT relay in the solar input side. You'd connect it like this: pins 85 and 87 together and to the 12V input from the car. Pin 86 to earth. Pin 87a to the solar panel and pin 30 to the solar input of the D250S. 87a is "normally on" (connected to pin 30) so when there's no 12V from the car, the solar panel is connected to the D250S. When the car is turned on, the relay turns on, connects pin 87 (which is car power) to pin 30 (D250S) charging the battery from the car and NOT the solar panel.

If you remove the green wire, you don't have to muck about at all and you'll get a better charge rate.

The guy at battery world were i got the new agm battery and the ctek dcdc charger gave me the relay and showed me how to wire it up to the solar input. Cheers tony and yes i have the stupid smart alternator and that's y i said stuff it and flogged off the isolator and invested in a dcdc charger and a good battery. Misses was not impressed but least i have it for future cars ��

Back