Servicing stamp?!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Munnerz

Reaction score
Any chance that anyone in the Brisbane area have a stamp of some sort that will suffice for stamping my book for warranty reasons. As I don't trust the dealership and want to do the minor servicing myself.

You are legally allowed to do the servicing as the owner, you do not need a stamp. The fight will be just as hard with a non dealer stamp as an owner signature. And the fight will always depend on so many varying factors it's barely worth considering.

You are legally allowed to do the servicing as the owner, you do not need a stamp. The fight will be just as hard with a non dealer stamp as an owner signature. And the fight will always depend on so many varying factors it's barely worth considering.

So what's your recommendation Krafty? Suck it up and take it to the dealer for the next 2 years? Or do the servicing myself and be prepared to fight with Nissan if something goes wrong?

It depends who you believe. Some will say you need dealershit servicing to have no issues with warranty but they can deny a claim on a dealershit serviced vehicle as quickly as they can a non dealershit serviced vehicle. If you know how to service it and do it exactly by the book the stamp does not make it any easier or hard to claim warranty.

Nissan aren't completely insensible. If your horn fails or a transfer case seal lets go during the warranty period, they aren't going to blame the brand of engine oil you're using.

A dealer might get a little shirty about it but they still have to follow the guidelines and apply some common sense.

Where it changes is AFTER the warranty expires. A loyal customer that has an item fail that would normally be warrantable - for instance, the torque converter in an auto box - but it fails outside the warranty period - is more likely to receive favourable attention from the dealer/Nissan. These "goodwill" repairs are much less likely to occur if the vehicle is serviced elsewhere (or not at all).

It doesn't mean that you HAVE to go get the vehicle serviced at a Nissan dealer just in case something does fail later on - but it does mean that if something DOES fail, you should approach the repair from the view that you will probably have to foot the bill for it, even if the guy down the street (who DID get his car serviced by Nissan) got the cost of parts for his failure covered by Nissan and he only had to pay for labour.

It depends who you believe. Some will say you need dealershit servicing to have no issues with warranty but they can deny a claim on a dealershit serviced vehicle as quickly as they can a non dealershit serviced vehicle. If you know how to service it and do it exactly by the book the stamp does not make it any easier or hard to claim warranty.

Righto mate thanks for the insight. I have the E-workshop manual, I've serviced cars before and I have a cert in automotive. Just not a full qualified mech.
Cheers Krafty

Legally you don't have to be qualified just the owner of the car. Your lack of qualifications could be easily questioned if I relied on you to service my car but providing you service your car by the book, and minor services are so easy it's not worth paying a high price for if you can do it yourself, Nissan can't screw your warranty.

There is no way I would like to be caught up inappropriately using a stamp for warranty purposes. Doing so would be fraudulent.

I would be mighty pissed off if I bought a car with "full service history" only to discover it had been completed by the owner.

It is not that the owner may necessarily be less capable of performing the service but they should not be certifying that someone else has done the work.

There is no way I would like to be caught up inappropriately using a stamp for warranty purposes. Doing so would be fraudulent.

I would be mighty pissed off if I bought a car with "full service history" only to discover it had been completed by the owner.

It is not that the owner may necessarily be less capable of performing the service but they should not be certifying that someone else has done the work.

Using a stamp by someone who didn't do the service may well be fraudulent but even making up your own stamp that say Fred Nerk Owner is totally legal and not grounds for refusal of warranty.

However just how many people have purchased a second hand car and seen a 'dealer' stamp in the book and just assumed that it's been serviced by a dealer rather than ringing said dealer and confirming that the car has in fact been in the shop on each date suggested?

People assume way too much and the number of people who are seduced by a stamp in a book is ridiculous. Many of these same people suggest that a collection of stamps is enough to convince them the car has a service history. Even dealers falsify service books when it suits them, right wrong or otherwise it takes more than looking in a book and seeing a 'dealer stamp' to ensure there is a service history.

Using a stamp by someone who didn't do the service may well be fraudulent but even making up your own stamp that say Fred Nerk Owner is totally legal and not grounds for refusal of warranty.

However just how many people have purchased a second hand car and seen a 'dealer' stamp in the book and just assumed that it's been serviced by a dealer rather than ringing said dealer and confirming that the car has in fact been in the shop on each date suggested?

People assume way too much and the number of people who are seduced by a stamp in a book is ridiculous. Many of these same people suggest that a collection of stamps is enough to convince them the car has a service history. Even dealers falsify service books when it suits them, right wrong or otherwise it takes more than looking in a book and seeing a 'dealer stamp' to ensure there is a service history.

Too true.

It is like taking odometer readings as gospel.

I bought a car at auction with what was said to be service books.
Not that they said were completed but it was bull$hit nevertheless. A few weeks later in the post I received from the auction place, what had been evidence of roadside assist membership in a nice little RACV folder. Lucky the claim of service books was of no consequence to the purchase.

Crooks everywhere.

Latest posts

Back