shock problems

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blake_00

Reaction score
g'day fellas
i have just fitted a 2 inch iron man lift
all went well except for the front shocks wouldn't fit in, they fouled on the upper control arm.
i have heard about this problem before but never heard any solutions.
has any one experienced the same problem? how did you overcome it?
cheers blake

Grind the side of the control arm off. That's what got done to mine. Just take a lil bit off and test it. Just keep taking small runs of with the grinder and test. It doesn't need a lot off

or go and get yourself some modified upper control arms...

My OME shocks foul on the control arms, but only when the suspension is at full down travel. hasn't wrecked the shocks...yet.

Expensive or cheap fix?

Expensive is aftermarket upper control arms. They are about $600 plus fitting plus getting the mod plated.$150 for mod plate. Fitting costs will vary unless you do it yourself.

Cheap option is just to grind a few mm off the inside of the arm where it fouls. Mark it with a pen and remove shock and have a quick grind. Cost you nothing if you have the gear and I'm pretty sure everyone has a grinder. If not use a file :p

by rights, meant to have min 10mm between moving parts...amazing the shops that fit them without the correct clearance and also grind up suspension components to make them fit, just???

Hi Fella's

OME shocks have been known to foul on upper control arms on a few cars not just navara's.I wouldn't grind my control arm as it could make your car unroadworth when it come time for rego checks.

Shane

Unles you went for a roadworthy & said hey by the way i ground my upper arms
No roadworthy mechanic in Australia would know
Cheers

Last edited:
Since putting in a lift kit five weeks ago, I've heard knocking noises whilst off road, and tonight noticed that it is the shocks rubbing on the UCAs.
The kit is Blue Max and was fitted at Spicer's Springs in Bayswater. Would this be their responsibility to fix the problem? Cheers guys.
Daniel

P.S what alternatives do I have to fix the problem, apart from grinding the UCA? ie; different shocks, adjust height again? etc etc

Last edited:
Langdon

The bluemax kits are the same as the efs kits. Apart from grinding th uca you can go to a smaller diameter shock. I would just put a grinder to them. You only need to take off a small amount. Zordo did mine and I have had no issues. You could always buy aftermarket uca from casloffroad and install them

Even with the UCA's I still had to do a little grinding to get them to clear the shocks 100%.

No worries! Thanks for that guys. I'll be getting the grinder to them then!
Judging by the small dent on each shock, I'll need to shave off 5mm? Will I need to remove the shock to get in there or not?

Latest posts

Back