Show the temp in your dash

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure someone here that's really good with electrical circuits can work it out. A thermistor is just a resistor whose resistance varies with the temperature. Add another resistor in series and instead of say 4 ohms to 10 ohms for 10C to 30C (arbitrary numbers chosen for the example) you end up with 8 ohms to 14 ohms for 10C to 30C. No need to damage it and if we can figure it out, el cheapo ambient temp sensors are ours!

Oh trust me Tony we tried.I myself have half a dozen in the back shed and we even have the different temps vs resistance but we just couldnt find the range we needed .We figured it had to be a series/parallel combo but we could quite get it right

Apparently some kiwi store cracked it because there is a kiwi on these forums who has used a store brought thermistor they paid about $3 for. The person never did come back with the information that the rest of us could use but it wont be impossible for the right person to either luck upon or figure out exactly.

I got it within about 3 degrees and then found out my mate could get the stupid thing for less than $50 so I gave up. Poms would be better suited to figure it out than an aussie because they use more NTC thermistors than we do, we can get them here but they generally aren't used by hobbiests and therefore not as many people here know about them and more guess work is involved.

I think I found it

I have used two 4.7K NTC thermistors in parallel and one 5K variable resistor in series and it seems to be within 1 degree. Purchased parts from Jaycar here in NZ for a total of about $6. Just use the variable resistor to do the fine tuning. Haven't been able to see how accurate it is in the heat but has been pretty spot on from -1 to about 12 degrees. Roll on summer.

Good Luck

I couldn't see any photos of the part on the site but for that price it would have to be worth a shot. If it doesn't work you can make your own (see previous post). The one that I made is still working fine I saw that it got to 16 degrees the other day, not as warm over here in NZ. That price goes to show how much mark-up there is on genuine parts from the dealerships! Just a note I am the kiwi that came back and wrote my finding for the forum to use, not the kiwi that didn't tell all. It was due to reading all 21 pages of this that I had a good start in working it out. Cheers

Last edited:
The part from the US could be right on the money. Noone in the US would be able to tell you if it works on a Frontier or Pathfinder though as they have different instrument clusters and wiring harnesses.
According to Courtesy Nissan that part no doesnt belong to any US listed models and yet there are a few US sites that list that part but without saying what vehicle it is .

$52.32 shipping :thumpdown:

You are kidding?

The genuine component weighs all of 5 grams and occupies less space than a matchbox. You could fit TWO inside a matchbox and they'd rattle.

$52 for shipping that is just theft - unless you needed it up on the ISS and I reckon they don't have the harness for it anyway.

Thats DHL express to Victoria,no other options listed.
Still cheaper than buying here but,
THEFT

Its not the dealers its the USPS and or UPS.
When I bought my fan belt idler pulley they wanted over $200 in shipping to Aus. I had it shipped to Canada and then posted from there and cost me all up $40 lol
I was going to ask a friend in the states near one of the dealers in California to get a price for me and see if she might ship some over.
By the way she drives a supercharged D40 Frontier lol

Back