side rails in tray for D22

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ljacko78

Reaction score
howdy,

This isn't as fancy as some of the other mod's, but I'm pretty happy with how it has finished up, how strong they are and perhaps someone will find this useful.

I was a bit miffed at the lack of tie down points in the D22 and kept seeing Rangers and Bravo's with a tidy set of rails that I thought I could put across to mine. Here's the method:

- A rust free set of rails from wreckers from a crew cab Ranger for $20 a piece was the closest in length tho is about 240mm too long
- choice was to either cut out the centre of 3 feet out (make 2 cuts and 1 wield) or leave it in and splice the rail either side of the centre foot and have to make 4 cuts and 2 wields - I chose the first option.
- The rail cut easily with a copper pipe cutter (I got one from $5 from Bunnings reduced bin)
- Also found a piece of 17mm reo bar 1.7m long for about $10 which I used up the pipe for extra strength. The 0.85m lengths were perfect. No bending in the middle of the rails now and some extra metal to make the wields strong. See pic 2 as a guide for the reo bar inside the rail and my first ever attempts at spot wields (real ones came up nice).
- attaching the bars was the biggest bugger. I found it physically impossible to find a way to attach it to the outside of the tray. Inner and outer tray walls had a gap of approx 20mm which means spacers in between the two, but there is also no way to get your arm, fingers, long wrench with bolts, washers and sticky tape etc between them. So I opted to put them inside the tray.
- there is a small lip on the rail feet (pic 2) which meant using double washers (pic 4), but you could grind them off instead. I used high tension bolts and attached the rails upside down as the end feet are moulded slightly lower and cause attachment issues (no room).
- the position of the rails in pics means the teauno cover and cross bars weren’t affected. The bolts near the tray were accessed thru the rear light cover.

The inside lip of the tray is very strong and a good spot for these fellas. The reo bar inside the rail adds so much extra strength as well and I had two big blokes hanging of them and the bars didn’t budge a bit. Total cost was about $70 in materials (the rails, the reo bar, bolts and paint). If you have one, a step drill bit will work a treat boring the +22mm dia holes needed.

Cheers

Attachments

• siderail 01.jpg
    siderail 01.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 303
  • siderail 02.jpg
    siderail 02.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 239
  • siderail 03.jpg
    siderail 03.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 235
  • siderail 04.jpg
    siderail 04.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 229
  • siderail 05.jpg
    siderail 05.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 240
Looks good mate, pretty good idea... I need something the same except i need it to go across the front of the tray to tie up my dog to. I've got the tub liner in mine so don't know about securing it to the lip of the tray.

Does anyone know what it costs for one of the spray on liners?

Looks good mate, pretty good idea... I need something the same except i need it to go across the front of the tray to tie up my dog to. I've got the tub liner in mine so don't know about securing it to the lip of the tray.

I think it's like $300 if you don't DIY it. That's a bit sketchy though. I'd do it do it do it though because those tub liners are terrible.

I just got a stainless steel U bolt from Bunnings and attached it to the back of the tray for the dog. My spray-on liner was around $600.

Attachments

• IMG00245.jpg
    IMG00245.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG00246.jpg
    IMG00246.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 159
Cheers for the replys fellas i think the spray on liner is a definate and that u bolt will probably be the go i like that... Then the side rails for sure.

You can buy a Hippo Liner kit from most decent Automotive Paint suppliers for around $100 probably cheaper in Auz! and do it yourself, you actually get a better finish with the supplied roller and brush than you get spraying it.

Last edited:
if you're in Mt Isa the rhino liner wil be $900 (they sure don't miss ya out west). I got mine from a lad in Slacks Ck (Qld) for $630 on a trip back to the big smoke. 3 yrs old now and has worked a treat. Bunnings had a DIY kit for about $150-200 about same time but I got it done for tax break

What sort of prep work needs to be done to the paint finish in the tray for the DIY ones? Does the whole inside need a light sand?

Oops sorry, got mixed up there I meant Hippo Liner kit, Same sort of deal. Just checked the price of them then and there $121.43 NZ, made by Dominion Sure Seal.
http://www.smitsgroup.co.nz/shop.aspx?showproduct=1643&info=true
Yeh the deck needs a light sand or just scuff it up with some Red Scotchbrite, Mask an edge around the top so it makes a nice straight line an mask around your talgate to wherever you want it to end.Done a few Ute trays now and definatly comes out better rolled than Sprayed.

Last edited:
decOguy, awesome Idea with the Ubolt! thanks, just went to hardware shop, $2.50 and I gota mounting point for the mutt!

Latest posts

Back