Small oil leak

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pottsy1990

Reaction score
Hey guys i have a small oil leak but only when parked facing uphill and god knows wat other variables there are but its around the clutch housing through a small opening i think but its behind yet higher than the sump ! Any ideas ??

Could be the rear main seal. That would be my guess going by the description.

Yep, sounds like rear main, incidently, make sure your motor oil level is not higher than the high mark on the dip stick, an overfilled sump can cause the rear main to start leaking due to crank case pressures.

I striped it all down guys and it was the sump seal right at the back. Turned i. To a even bigger job than expected !

if its sump seal pretty sure the front diff has to come out to put the new seal in. have fun with that.

D22Nav_Man said:
if its sump seal pretty sure the front diff has to come out to put the new seal in. have fun with that.

Yup, I changed my sump gasket (zd30) over Easter. Front diff needs to be taken out and at least the idler arm needs to be unbolted and dropped away.

It's an absolute PITA job, and if possible, definitely get a helping hand for removal and refitting of the sump, I managed on my own, but it woulda gone smoother with a help.

I used a Nulon brand oil flush before dropping my oil and left it to drain out for a few hours, just to make the change happen cleaner.

After the diff (definitely a 2 person job, and a trolley jack) is out and the steering junk is out of the way, remove all the bolts from the sump in the order specified by the manual (see attached pic), don't worry, the liquid gasket will hold it up, using a combination of careful Stanley knife work, and brute force with a paint scraper, you need to break the seal of the old gasket. Work the knife blade in one spot, then remove and work the paint scraper into that same spot, using this foothold, carefully work your way around the sump, using this technique as needed.

After the sump is out, use a stiff wire brush and a lot if elbow grease to get rid of the old gasket. And give the sump a good hose out and leave it to dry thoroughly. Use a sharp blade to remove the leftover seal from the bottom of the engine block.

Re-apply some liquid gasket to the sump and re-install it, being careful to observe the order in which you tighten the bolts (see attached pic)

Re-fill with oil and have at it!

Attachments

• image-2408052962.jpg
    image-2408052962.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 94

Latest posts

Back