Snake Handling

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FISHOLOT

Reaction score
Hi folks, I would assume that most people on here have an aversion to snakes, myself included. I was always of the view that the best way to handle a snake was with a shotgun or a shovel. Due to the location I work in, a remote mine site in the Goldfields of W.A., snakes are a common site around the place. Lucky for me work decided to fly me to Perth for the weekend to attend a snake handlers course on Sunday. The course was held at the Harry Warring Nature Reserve on the southern side of Perth and a bloke by the name of Bob Cooper ran the course. The W.A. locals will probably have heard of this bloke. The course was fantastic, dispelled a lot of fears about snakes and I came away with a whole different view of the humble snake. During the course we were handling tigers, death adders, king browns and dugites to name a few, these snakes are some of the most venomous in the world. My final scenario was to capture 5 snakes that Bob had let loose inside a building with plenty of hiding spots, kept you on your toes and made you think about what you were doing. With the right gear and some tuition they aren't as scary as I thought. If anyone gets the chance to attend one of these courses I would highly recommend it. No affiliation with Bob in any way, just a happy customer and better informed on our snakes and how to handle them.

Cheers John

Such courses aren't a bad idea but for those not doing one I'd strongly advise not to use a shovel, if you miss or the shovel breaks (I've had that happen) that could be one mighty pissed off snake. Most snakes are a menace to the cows and we deal with them accordingly depending on what weapon is in the utes at the time but pissing one off while your standing in arms length is never a good idea. If your really skilled at handling a snake the tail grab and flick in one solid movement is as impressive as it is dangerous but it works.

Such courses aren't a bad idea but for those not doing one I'd strongly advise not to use a shovel, if you miss or the shovel breaks (I've had that happen) that could be one mighty pissed off snake. Most snakes are a menace to the cows and we deal with them accordingly depending on what weapon is in the utes at the time but pissing one off while your standing in arms length is never a good idea. If your really skilled at handling a snake the tail grab and flick in one solid movement is as impressive as it is dangerous but it works.

stuff the grab and flick idea...aim and shoot is far better...lol:rock:

It is amazing what people think of snakes... Think of the poor snake. I used to be a zoo keeper and all the stories of snake attacks that I have heard are are the result of some hero( I am not having a go at anybody) hitting a snake with a shovel, stick or any other make shift weapon laying around. Look at this way, get down to there view... Down low.... Have a 5-6th person standing over you swinging stuff at you... I would bite you too!it is heaps easier to walk away and let the snake cruise off in it's own time than it is to end up in hospital. Fishalot I am glad your view has changed on our humble snake, I think this sort of stuff should be taught at schools so all the fears are taken away... On ya mate!

The only snake I'll ever be game enough to handle only has one eye and more qualifies as a lump than a snake.

For the real reptiles, it's a quick turn about and head the other way for me, every time.

I don't have a problem with people sticking up for snakes but when a snake kills a $1300 cow who is still feeding a youngen I tend to look dimly upon the thing and if the shotgun isn't handy it gets what ever it needs just like foxes, feral cats and other pests on the farm.

I prefer the forked stick method of pinning them behind the head, then you very carefully pick them up and with a firm grip carry it around to show people. Very impressive so long as that smart aleck kid keeps his mouth shut*.

* No danger as I always choose pythons and let the others go about their business.

Also have been known to calmly just step over a few snakes and keep walking. Lol, didn't notice them as I was looking at something aboveand just stepped over a large stick.

Hey krafty like I said I'm not having a go at anybody... I'm sure there are situations where something has to be done, my sister was cornered in the chicken pen by a taipan and had to deal with it. All I was saying was that 75% of bites are caused by people not giving the snake 5 min to move on and having the same attitude as our humble crocodile. There all not killing machines.

Didn't take it as you having a go alphabet it's pretty much just a thing we grew up with, if an animal is a threat to the farm or people it has to be removed because you can't afford to have threats too close to home.

We've had everything form feral pigs, to roos, to snakes attack the animals on the farm and quite often the best choice to stop continued attacks is to kill the threat, in many other situations where the threat isn't so large I have no problem letting things like snakes go. One of the biggest problems we have is that even on our smallest property which is about 60 acres you have to take the threat too far away to be of any use and even then you're just going to give the threat to someone else if you do move it. We don't have many attacks on livestock from snakes and there is no doubt heaps of them around the farms but if one does attack it's like a dog, you can't keep it around.

I spend a lot of time out doors in remote areas and come across lots of snakes. I've never had an issue with one being a real threat. They like to have their space and as long as you respect that, then its all cool.

Its good to hear the OP has gotten over his (irrational) fear of snakes - they are amazing creatures after all!

I don't mind snakes either and have been known to tail them and move them along but when you have 6 tiger snakes in the garder at head height you tend to get them out and kill them.Only because they are so close to the house.(within 3 meters)

Back