Snorkel and fuel economy??

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Tonka

Reaction score
Hi,

Last week I had a snorkel installed on my Nav and I already have noticed a improvement in fuel economy. It's too early to confirm as I have not done the tank yet. Before the snorkel and when I drive like I am trying to get the best out of the tank, unloaded, I get 250kms when the fuel gauge needle hits the 3/4 mark from full around town. Now I still get the same but this time I was towing a jetski (500kg with trailer) for 185kms return trip through the hills to Mannum (West Lakes to Mannum via Birdwood and back). A month ago I did the same jetski trip and I managed to get just 220kms when the needle hits 3/4 mark.

What do you think, guys? am I imagining it? I reckon maybe around town at speeds mostly around 65kmh or lower, fuel economy won't be affected at all compared to driving at high speeds like 80kmh to 105kmh which forces air into the snorkel so therefore increasing air flow and oxygen feeds to the engine making it breathe better? :hmmmm:

I hear in a thread somewhere there that snorkel can affect the bottom end/takeoff power because of the effort that the engine has to do to suck the air through the longer piping work. But for my case, I notice no diffference in that area which I was a bit concerned before the snorkel installation. So I am glad. :smile:

i have noticed my d22 is getting better fuel economy since i put a snorkel on it, haven't noticed any lack of power down low thou

My vg33e Is loving the snorkel on my d22, I got 750 odd ks from a tank of fuel which i dont believe ive ever got before.

Say Wha???? No offence but are you sure you don't have a diesel in your Nav? If you do have a VG33E, hop down to my place at Munruben and we'll do an engine swap, my VG33E tops out at little more than 450kms to a tank, its killing me.

On the plus side, over the holidays I will be installing my Toyota air box, then doing a snorkel?exhaust. Should improve things a bit, but 750ks?????? If it stretches to that I would be absolutely ecstatic, :cheers!:

Last edited:
I'm assuming a 70L main tank.

750km with a Long Ranger installed is woeful economy - about 18.6LPHK. They'd have to be towing constantly to get that, and have hills involved too.

750km to a full tank (without Long Ranger) is 9.3LPHK which isn't unreasonable.

What do people normally get? Try to give actual km for actual litres used if possible.

My mate has the vg33e, and it's about 16L/100km normally, and about 20l/100 when towing, so normal economy of 18L/100 isn't the worst.

Yep, 16ltrs/100km is stock fuel econ figures. I really doubt any vg33e would do better than 14ltrs per 100, but if I can be proven wrong I'll be doing those mods thats for sure. :cheers!:

Yeah stock 70ltr Tank, Bp ultimate, And i drive it like my kenworth..... 1500 rpm change gears :D These k's were done on the freeway mostly at 100k's. Dont get me wrong tho when i get up it i can watch the fuel gauge go down. But with the snorkel fitted i can hear if your up it to much.

1500rpm gear changes? you must be changing gears at idle!

you sure you doing your calculations correctly? the diesels struggle to get those sort of fuel figures!

Lol I may not be doing the calculations correctly but The last trip thats what my Trip A was at when the fuel light came on and i had reset it when filled. I will pay more attention on the next fill up.
And my navara dosnt idle that high! lol But yeah when i'm being nice to it i rarely go over 2 grand to change gears.

750km to the warning light - which probably comes on with 10L still in the tank - so that's 60L used, or 60/7.5= 8 LPHK.

Some D22 2.5TD owners have reported getting close to those figures.

One thing I can confirm: fuel rail pressure very, very closely follows the engine RPM and the fuel flow rate follows this. The fuel consumption rate calculated by my ECU climbs dramatically when my gearbox drops a gear.

As an example, my ECU will report 11LPHK while cruising. I flick the overdrive button off so that the gearbox selects 4th. Engine RPM rises from 2,000 to around 3,000. Fuel consumption rises to 22-23LPHK.

The moral is that the lower the RPM, the less fuel consumed. Maybe Dennis is on to something!

Back