So after 3 weeks I end up here.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In today's Target catalogue...

Thomson 10" Dual Core 16GB Tablet MID1002
10" - 16GB internal memory
Google Android 4.1
Expandable memory for an extra 32GB with micro SD card
Front and Rear facing camera
WiFi internet browsing

$149 (down from $199).

Can't say I disagree with that prediction. Microsoft are trying to compete in the tablet arena, just like they did in the game console arena, and I doubt that they'll do any better there.

I love the way tablet computing is heading. I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 10 which is superb for note taking and games, but for serious work I have an Asus TF201 Transformer which can survive without mains power for 18 hours. I can write documents, spreadsheets, remotely access VNC-based and RDP based machines, I can print stuff and if I don't like something I can swipe it off the screen with satisfaction. It's definitely THE way to do things.

The MATE desktop is not as good as they make it out to be. I tried it on Fedora 20 and didn't like it, I went to LXDE.

I've got a Samsung netbook I'll download MINT for and get it installed to see how it goes. It was my Fedora 15 video conferencing server, but there's no need for it any more so I may as well play with something else. I'll let ya know how it goes.

Gee that's not a bad price for the specs, is that $AU or $US??
yeah mate, AUD.

Mint LMDE does that have the MATE desktop??
It comes in 2 flavours, as with normal Mint - MATE and Cinnamon. I prefer Cinnamon but thats purely asthetics.

I'm looking at all this with my "In this day and age, It should just work straight out of the box" eyes on. I don't beieve you should have to compile XYZ or apt-get patch X or similar to have basic functionality these days.
To be honest, it is pretty damn close to an OOBE as you will get. Not much required for day to day duties, and only your usual favourite tools that you would have to install on most distro's anyway ;)

It's like buying car and then having to buy a spare wheel from somehwere else and then jack from somewhere else again.

I don't claim to be a guru, but I've been in IT for 25 years now, my prediction for the next 5 years (for the desktop area only). Microsoft will not be such a power in the software arena, Windows may even be given away free as it will be viewed as not an important component in people's computing requirements. Android is already free and iOS updates are free as well.

Tablets are here to stay. They will become more powerful and used by many more people.

Android will dominate over iOS, this will be based solely on price and it's openness.

Google will become bigger than Microsoft, Microsoft will begin to look like Novell. Apple will stay where they are, but gather increased criticism for their 'proprietaryness'.

And desktop PC's will almost disappear and be replaced by laptops.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Agree with all that! I'm in the Managed Services section of the industry. All of our customers access the system via Citrix - its all hardware agnostic these days. Desktop/Laptop/iPad/Tablet or even mobile - its all the same to us!

Novell - we still have customers using it on their local domains.....painful!

Gee that's not a bad price for the specs, is that $AU or $US??

Mint LMDE does that have the MATE desktop??

I'm looking at all this with my "In this day and age, It should just work straight out of the box" eyes on. I don't beieve you should have to compile XYZ or apt-get patch X or similar to have basic functionality these days.

It's like buying car and then having to buy a spare wheel from somehwere else and then jack from somewhere else again.

I don't claim to be a guru, but I've been in IT for 25 years now, my prediction for the next 5 years (for the desktop area only). Microsoft will not be such a power in the software arena, Windows may even be given away free as it will be viewed as not an important component in people's computing requirements. Android is already free and iOS updates are free as well.

Tablets are here to stay. They will become more powerful and used by many more people.

Android will dominate over iOS, this will be based solely on price and it's openness.

Google will become bigger than Microsoft, Microsoft will begin to look like Novell. Apple will stay where they are, but gather increased criticism for their 'proprietaryness'.

And desktop PC's will almost disappear and be replaced by laptops.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Yeah I agree.. windows client OS and office will be free and they will make their money out of admin tools like the server installs, SCCM and collab tools like sharepoint

Pretty suprised to see this many people from IT backgrounds on here but I spose it makes sense with how much we would all prob use forums for work

Pretty suprised to see this many people from IT backgrounds on here but I spose it makes sense with how much we would all prob use forums for work
haha yeah, its either here or Whirlpool/XDA/OCAU or some random board on the hunt for an elusive fix for some random issue :)

In today's Target catalogue...

Thomson 10" Dual Core 16GB Tablet MID1002
10" - 16GB internal memory
Google Android 4.1
Expandable memory for an extra 32GB with micro SD card
Front and Rear facing camera
WiFi internet browsing

$149 (down from $199).

That's not too shaby. It's only a 200+ km trip to the nearest Target, so it may have to wait. Thanks for the input. ;-)

Latest posts

Back