Some newbie questions regarding swapping an engine into my Thai built '08 Nav RX

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wadao

Reaction score
Heya gents, and ladies,

I've a few (hopefully) simple questions regarding an engine swap in my '08 RX, 2.5 4 cyclinder turbo diesel D40.

I am really struggling to find a replacement Thai built D40 (thatvisnt $7k+) and I'm wondering if I would be able to drop in a Spanish built D40 instead?
Would it have to be from and RX or can I use a D40 from an ST for example?
I read somewhere that the thai vs spanish builds differ (?) somewhat and it isnt just a straight swap?
Has anyone here got some advice/experience they could share, stuff to look out for?

This may also be a dumb question (sorry) - can I put a D40 out of an automatic Navara into my manual Navara... Is it still just the same D40 assembly?

Resized_20220915_172612.jpeg

There are too many differences between Spain and Thai and will make it too complicated. Celtic Automotive Centre in Bayswater are a Wrecker and repair workshop. They know all the differences between Thai and Spain Navaras and what bits are interchangeable ... which are very few! The bare engine might be the same so ask them as they'll know.

One of the Mechanics at Celtic makes up reconditioned YD25 engines that are sold for about $6,000 exchange, so that's an option for consideration.

I've bought quite a few parts from them over the years, especially after hitting a kangaroo 300km east of Newman back in May 2019. I've always found them easy to deal with and pretty helpful when it comes to the nuances between Thai and Spain Navaras. There are so many subtle differences in parts you have to be very careful ordering anything or you'll be caught out.

Any YD25 from a Thai built D40 of any trim level will drop in.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/embleton/engine-engine-parts-transmission/yd25-d40-2010/1294390521
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100054482859168
There are plenty of Thai D40 YD25 available on the east coast. Freight is about $400

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1953322...i1HOLynPupkYo8OS4dMRllwnTa|tkp:Bk9SR7LUirSAYQ

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Scott52. Yeah, you've confirmed some concerns.

I did find a few on the east coast, but for 7k+... any idea why the Thai D40 is so much more expensive than the Spanish equivalent?

Thanks for the Celtic reference. Ill give them a call 🤙

When you look for parts there seems to be as many Thai as Spanish being wrecked so I'm not sure why the difference in cost. Again the fellow at Celtic Automotive may know. Perhaps the $6000 bare motor from Celtic is a good option. You'd just swap over the bolt on parts like turbo, AC pump, alternator, manifolds etc. and give them your bare motor afterwards.

Let us know what you end up doing to get your D40 mobile again.

Latest posts

Back