Something making a mess in engine bay.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MC-waz

Reaction score
Hey guys there is some kind of a breather tube that makes its way up to the brake booster and stops. I think it is leaking crap all over my engine bay and I'm not sure what it is. I'm new to diesel engines and the d22. It's a brass tube I think and it comes up from the front of the engine.

I do nearly 300k's on the highway every day, which I know is not really what it's meant for but I really love this ute for towing and getting in the bush for firewood etc.

Any help would be great!

Cheers.

The tube you are referring to is the breather tube from the gearbox / transfer case. In this case you might have some sort of pressure build up in your gearbox forcing oil up the breather tube.
There is another tube behind the air box and that one is the breather from the front diff.

Mine is a 2011 but might vary through different year models.

need a pic, cause there no way you should have anything come out the diff/gearbox breather unless the navara has been upside down.

Cheers mate. I'l try and figure out what the hell is going on with it. I did oil change, fuel filter and air filter today and noticed a bit of leaking underneath. I'll have to give it a good clean and try and pin point it.

Has anyone else had this problem........there seems to be a lot of greasy crap down near where all the brake lines and clutch line come together in the engine bay and underneath the ute. Is there something down there that leaks commonly on the ZD30. Mines a 2003, about 150,000 on the clock. Everything else is in good order, it seems to be a very well looked after ute. I'm the third owner it has pretty much full service history.

IMG_06921.jpg

IMG_06911.jpg

IMG_06902.jpg

I don't know if the pics will help. The engine bay was spotless when I bought it. I don't think the leak is too bad but over time it just keeps getting messier. I can't seem to find any other vent or tube that could be making the mess. I'll keep searching though.

What are peoples thoughts about spraying a crap load of degreaser in the bay and pressure washing it???? Obviously taking care around electrical parts.

I was just about to suggest a degrease and a gentle blast with the pressure cleaner and then keep an eye on the area.
It looks like accumulated grime rather than what came out of the breather. If it is the breather, then it would be in just one spot.

that just looks like splash back from the wheel wells. theres probably a bolt hole there where water and tarseal oil is being splashed through.
you can see all the water marks on the brake booster.

Yeah there is definitely splash back and water marks, but there is enough oily crap leaking that you can see it all down that side of the chassis and in the wheel arch on the tyre side. At first I thought it was brake fluid because it was near the lines, but the brakes are still 100% and I haven't lost any fluid level. I'm sure I'll find it after a proper clean up.

Back