Speedo issue

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vfighter

Reaction score
Hey Guys

For those of you who own a 2008 D22, I was wondering if your speedo is accurate?
I had my stock rubber 265/70/16 and the speedo was 10K out (over). I then put on the Coopers 265/75/17 and now the speedo is only 4-5K out

Is anyone experiencing the same problem with their stockies?

Ant

oops - yeah under Is what I meant - I got a little confusion lol My GPS would read 100K and speedo would read 90....thats a huge whack!

Why would that be? Im due for my 20K service soon. Should I bring this up as a warranty thing or not worry about it?

I did read somewhere (probably not on this forum) that it's actually illegal for a car manufacturer to release a vehicle with a speedo that reads out like yours does, if anything your speedo should read over your actual speed (so if your speedo reads 100km/hr your actual ground speed is lower)

And FYI, my 06 St-r speedo is dead on accurate with stock wheels.

Might be something worth calling the transport department about.

He actually meant it reads under according to his second post, which is legal and will more than likely result in Nissan saying exactly that and taking no action. According to other threads the tolerance is 10% + 4kph which means at 100kph the speedo has to be reading 85 or below before it becomes an issue. But yes reading slower than actual is illegal and will require Nissan to fix.

He actually meant it reads under according to his second post, which is legal and will more than likely result in Nissan saying exactly that and taking no action. According to other threads the tolerance is 10% + 4kph which means at 100kph the speedo has to be reading 85 or below before it becomes an issue. But yes reading slower than actual is illegal and will require Nissan to fix.

I think you will find if you read it again the speedo is reading under what the actual speed he is doing.
My 2010 d22 reads 8km over what i am doing on gps no matter wheather i am doing 80 my speedo will say 88 or if im doing 110 my speedo says 118 the sales guy at nissan said all new navs do that. not sure if he is full of it or not?

The dealer is right. They do it. The car's ECU actually knows the actual vehicle speed, the error is only in the needle itself.

If you have stock tyres on, take your car to one of those test lengths on the freeway and check the 5km length against your tripmeter - it should be really close.

The speedo needle is just reflecting a voltage passed to it. It doesn't HAVE to be accurate according to the Australian Design Rules - Krafty's figures are from those ADRs.

2004-2006 D22's read dead accurate on 265/70/16's.

Ill find the thread on the speed sensor cog.

Thats the best way of correcting it.

Hi,

I have 2011 D22 STR and my speedo is out approxiamtely 10%. The car speedo will read 110 but the GPS reading is approx 100 if take the car speedo to 120 gps reads about 108. Read somewhere is a common problem. Checked the Km's travelled with car against GPS and there was a little difference but not much.

Well apparently the difference in the ODO is not common to all those who have the speedo issue. My speedo is about 9% out and so is my ODO where as most people here report their ODO is ok, personally I don't care, I know the speed I'm driving at, rarely sit exactly on the speed limit and consider it a minor issue, others aren't the same.

x2
I get my best fuel economy at around 105 on the hwy so i tend to stick to that i dont really worry about the speed more just stick to the right revs and i can get an extra 60 to 70 kms a tank

Latest posts

Back