Sr20det into d40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aj6474

Reaction score
Sick and tired of the problems and cost involved with the 2.5 and am now seriously thinking of doing a sr20det conversion to 6sp d40 4x4. Has any one done this yet or can point me into the rite direction please. As every week since 180ks i have had niggling problems and the trade in price was on a new hilux was nothing short of being an insult.

I haven't heard of anyone replacing the YD25 with SR20 and would imagine that it would be near impossible. It sounds like the pipe dream of a 19 year old.

Bolting the new engine to the gearbox using an adapter plate would probably be no big deal, but then the trouble starts.

Pulling out the YD's computer and replacing with the SR's computer will be a challenge, all the ECUs talk to each other, you have to think about the BCM, airbags, abs etc.

Most cars fitted with a SR has a high pressure fuel pump in the fuel tank, you would have to modify the fuel tank for this.

Seems like it would be easier to sell the Navara, or fix whatever is wrong with the YD.

Sick and tired of the problems and cost involved with the 2.5 and am now seriously thinking of doing a sr20det conversion to 6sp d40 4x4. Has any one done this yet or can point me into the rite direction please. As every week since 180ks i have had niggling problems and the trade in price was on a new hilux was nothing short of being an insult.

It has been done in d22 form, that motor thrives on rev's it's not essentially the correct torque curve for a 2.5tonne brick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvg6BZpSOs8

Haha.. not doubting the fact its on the road and dodging speed cameras but for all i know the footage is a silvia or skyline..
its certainly a good example to show AJ6474 that its possible. Top find.

I still cant get over how fast that needle hits 150+km/h

The dash is definitely d22. You can tell it's on the street by the lights running over the gauges.

They would have done motor and gearbox in that though, being a 2wd. Not sure what effort it would require matching the motor to a 4wd gearbox... maybe have a look at marks adaptors

d40 is one heavy ass brick.

AFAIK any model d40 had a variant of the 6 speed manual gearbox commonly found in the 370z.

sr20 would be a waste of time with a low displacement engine, gearbox adapters and all that shit - go get a VQ motor

vq30det - 3l single turbo
vq35 - 3.5l na
vq/hr37 3.7l na
vq40 - 4l Na - comes out stock int he d40 omg your already ahead here.

if you need your forced induction, get any number of turbo and or supercharger kits for any one of the vq motors...have your boost, do your dam burnouts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

sr20det into a d21 or d22 ?
they are lighter than a d40 - but still heavy pigs when compared to the silvia (1300kg vs 2100kg)
depending on the model d21 or d22 you get, its allready got the sr20 gearbox.
OHMAGOD make some custom engine mounts, bolt the ****er in and do some skids.
then wonder why the 2ton cars slow as ****.

that's just my 2c
and yes i own a Sr VQ and diesel version of all this, so i can say - **** the sr in a d40 navara is a stupid idea.

at minimum a rb25...you need some displacement to pull that heavy load around...

although being diesel id sway more to - putting in another diesel motor. then selling it, then buying a petrol one and doing your silly mods

Back