ST-X 550 Over-Heating Problems: Just Curious, who has a Bullbar

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nonno

Reaction score
I'm just curious to hear from those who've had over-heating problems with their 550. Do you have a bullbar fitted? If so, what make?

Have you had over-heating problems with the Nissan factory-fitted bumper?

I have a Dec '11 550 (haven't experienced any over-heating - yet), and am contemplating fitting a bulbar. I'm wondering what effect it has on engine temperature. It seems to me a bar even with cut-outs would seriously impede airflow into the engine, particularly over the intercooler.

Thanks

yes they can.

i have another 4x4 which is famous for overheating problems. airflow blockage from front bars and lights does impact temps. how badly depends on many things.

Didn't Northside or one of those say about 6 months ago bullbars and 550's were going to have overheating problems? I seem to remember some comments about them a while back.

Yeah, there aren't many bars available for them because of it.

Northside was looking at making a relocate kit for the intercooler so a bar wouldn't cause probs, haven't heard anything about it for a while

We have a few bars on our 550's. Dot remember the brand. But none have overheated yet..

How far do your 550's go FB? Surely they wouldn't often get driven that far that overheating due to air restriction from a bar would be an issue?

Oh I meant a couple of my customers. No issues yet..
Only alloy bars at this stage..

Hi all
I'm new here. but i just picked up my new navara stx 550 on thursday. I got a genuine nissan bull bar fitted by the dealer. I want to fit 3 light force xgt spotties to the bar but now have 2nd thoughts after seeing this thread. The car will be use for town and hi way use in QLD. never off road but it will tow a small sports yacht. About 800kg all up in weight.
Advise please??
Thanks Berndty

I have the new ARB bar on mine - have had the prototype bar, and now the production model fitted for the past 7 or 8 weeks with no problems encountered. Over that time I have done approximately 5000kms. Check out my garage for pics.

Hi all
I'm new here. but i just picked up my new navara stx 550 on thursday. I got a genuine nissan bull bar fitted by the dealer. I want to fit 3 light force xgt spotties to the bar but now have 2nd thoughts after seeing this thread. The car will be use for town and hi way use in QLD. never off road but it will tow a small sports yacht. About 800kg all up in weight.
Advise please??
Thanks Berndty

Welcome to the forum.

Consider 2 lights instead of 3 - it will allow more air through and may cause less problems.

what about a light bar instead, they seem smaller and i saw one the other night and it lit up really well... if i was 18 again i would mount 4 big spotties on the roll bar like my old truck.... but then again even with those spotties i still couldent see the where i was going when doing donuts...lol......

Yeh I'm thinking 2 xgt and a light bar in the middle now. I just have to use the spotlights because I have purchased them already. Can't put spotties on roll bar. It won't fit in shed if I do.
Thanks berndty

I have the ECB bar on mine and at the time it was the only bar available... I also have too spotties fitted the biggest that can fit between the loop bars. I have seen no change in engine temps from before and after fitment. I do a lot of towing trailers for work and tow a 2 tronne boat on long trips away and never seen the temp gauge budge from its norm position...

Hit one roo with the bar fitted and that paid for itself there and then for without the bar it would have seen me stranded in the middle of nowhere...

Latest posts

Back