standard dual battery isolation

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys just joined the forum and wanted to say what an awesome thread this is. It's helped me out alot and I'll shortly be giving this a go =]

Ok I went to fiddle with the standard dual battery setup again and have given up. The way I see it is there is a big wire that runs from the passenger side battery down to the alternator then it runs across the fron the the intercooler, down beside the engine then back up linking into the drivers side battery. My questions is if I unwrap the conduit from the passenger battery back to the alternator what am I going to find? I was thinking that both battery wires are crimped together at the alternator? So I can cut this wire off completely and remove the second battery altogether?

Has someone done this cause I don't wanna just go cutting wires and end up in a pickle? I've heard a few people just disconnecting the passenger battery and wrapping it up. I for some reason don't like the idea cause of it rubbing through and short circuiting. If you did this where did you zip tie it back to and what tape did you use? I have both electrical and rescue tape at hand.

Reason I am wanting to do this is to finally put a deep cycle in the second battery position totaling my capacity to around the 200amp mark

Rusty

rusty i cut mine where it goes into loom on pass side
i then put a terminator on cable
i then wrapped it all up in rescue tape
then cable tied to original loom
then more rescue tape
its more protected than factory
2 yrs now and no issues and its seen some hard conditions
cheers

yep i just left enough length to terminate it properly
i used a plastic heat shrink boot from work,i think jaycar sell them
not much will get through the rescue tape either
but dont buy the cheaper rescue tape from ebay ect, its shit compared to the good stuff(jaycar)

Breaker

Old.Tony and others, what do you prefer to use as a breaker at your caravan/camper house battery ?
Auto-reset circuit breaker ?
Manual-reset circuit breaker ?
Fuse ?
Other ?

I've got manual-reset circuit breakers under the bonnet but have just re-wired the camper battery to 6B&S cable running to an Anderson plug at the tow bar and wondering what to use.
As the camper battery is under a seat and a little hard to get to, I'm thinking an auto-reset would be most convenient.

Thanks,
Paul

Latest posts

Back