Starting issues d40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butty

Reaction score
Hi I'm a newbie, hello to everyone firstly !! Could I ask a question about my navara Stx 2006 d40 ? For a while now it is having a starting issue!!!
Only in the morning I turn the key to start it and it revs to the idle speed then drops out straight away !! To start it I have to keep going thru the key process for maybe 6,7,8 goes before it starts then it's fine all day until it does it again maybe a week, 2 weeks etc. I just want to ask the forum if anybody else has experienced this?
Thanks for having me cheers

Welcome. a little more info is helpful. Is your car Thai built or Spanish and how many klm have you done. It could be fuel related. Next time it does it, pump the fuel primer and see if it is hard. It should be. If not you have an air leak in the system.
Secondly check all the earth leads. Battery to body/motor and there are a few in the engine bay near the ecu and other electrical items.
Have you ever had the timing chain replaced?

Clean your MAF sensor, then do a fuel pump reset. If that won't fix it get a new scv. Once it stalls pop the bonnet and use the hand primer bulb, it's near the silver cylinder left hand side. I'd say it's not priming properly.

When i first bought my nav i nearly to it back because it was doing this..
May be completly different but do you wait for your glow plug light to turnoff before kicking it over?
I wasnt and that what it did yo me on every start

His is an 06 model so it wont have a priming bulb it will have an old style pump on top of the filter and the 06 also has twin filters. One on the passenger side and one on the drivers side...
And yes glowing a diesel is a must....

If it's that difficult to start only in the morning, I'm wondering it there's a slow leak allowing the fuel to drain back to the tank. For a brief stop, no worries at all you might get a small air bubble and that won't kill the thing.

The bigger potential problem is letting the pump run dry like it has been. It's a $4K unit, and relies heavily on the diesel fuel running through it.

If you have a hand pump on the filter, I'd be trying that first thing in the morning to see how many times it has to be pumped. Then, after stopping the car, try it again and see if it takes remarkably fewer pumps. If so, there's a definite air leak and it needs to be fixed sooner rather than later.

Here's some more info on my car, Stx ( Spanish built )2006 ,160000 Klms
I changed my fuel filter 6 months ago (but had the issue before this) with a aftermarket one!!
Do you guys use genuine or aftermarket filters? How often do you do it?
I primed my bulb under the fuel filter and it went hard, now I've just got to count it and go for a run!! I always wait for the glow plug light to go out before starting?
Is there a thread on maf sensor clean and fuel pump reset?

Only ever had genuine filters in mine. There's a small issue with the central o-ring in aftermarket filters. The factory one is finnicky - and the aftermarket ones can be utterly painful if they're not installed perfectly.

With the age of the vehicle heading quickly towards a decade you'd have to check the fuel hoses fairly carefully. Splitting or cracking can let air into the system, as can a hardening of the rubber around the connections.

MAF sensor cleaning is easy as is the pump reset.

MAFS: grab some electrical contact cleaner (or MAFS cleaner from an auto store, it's the same stuff) and pull the MAFS out gently (it will cost you $400 from a dealer if you drop it). Spray the contact cleaner into the little hole in one side - NEVER stick anything into that hole, there's a delicate wire (which is the sensor) inside that will be ruined. Spray until the fluid runs clear, hold the MAFS out for about 20 seconds while the cleaner evaporates and then reinstall.

Fuel Pump Reset: easiest way is to do an ECU reset. Write down your trip meter values if you rely on them, grab your radio PIN and pull the negative lead off the battery. Press your foot on the brake then put the negative lead back on - job done.

Hi I'm a newbie, hello to everyone firstly !! Could I ask a question about my navara Stx 2006 d40 ? For a while now it is having a starting issue!!!
Only in the morning I turn the key to start it and it revs to the idle speed then drops out straight away !! To start it I have to keep going thru the key process for maybe 6,7,8 goes before it starts then it's fine all day until it does it again maybe a week, 2 weeks etc. I just want to ask the forum if anybody else has experienced this?
Thanks for having me cheers

That is exactly what mine was doing i changed the suction control valve and its been fine ever since

Welcome. a little more info is helpful. Is your car Thai built or Spanish and how many klm have you done. It could be fuel related. Next time it does it, pump the fuel primer and see if it is hard. It should be. If not you have an air leak in the system.
Secondly check all the earth leads. Battery to body/motor and there are a few in the engine bay near the ecu and other electrical items.
Have you ever had the timing chain replaced?
Hi sir. I am having same problem. Recently had timing chain replaced. Any suggestion what to do

Latest posts

Back