Starting Issues - SOLVED

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KrisW

Reaction score
Hi new to the forum and have been reading over lots of threads full of great info.

I have a 09 D40 2.5lt turbo diesel spanish built that started having starting problems after a service. It only does it cold in the morning runs for a few seconds then stalls. Take key out leave for a few seconds try again turns over for while then starts. If I prime before trying to start its fine. I have changed all hose clamps and the primer bulb. I have changed the fuel filter thinking maybe I got a dogy one. The primer bulb remains hardish through out the day but in the morning it needs about 8 to 10 pumps to get hard. Some how fuel is draining back to the tank over night but how? Any other advice would be great I have read back through the other threads about this issue on the forum and have tried others advice just wondering how people who had the same issue fixed it?

Welcome to the forum!

Is the filter you've used a genuine one or an aftermarket one? For some reason none of the aftermarket ones seem to fit perfectly, and the genuine ones need to be installed very precisely because the central seal has to be a perfect fit or the bloody thing leaks. Wasn't the best design, I think. It's an irritation that many seem to have suffered, particularly when simply trying to save a few bucks on the filter.

Thanks for the reply yeah non genuine, just spent $160.00 on a genuine primer bulb too. What seal are you talking about, the one on the sensor?

There's an o-ring inside the filter that has to be seated perfectly. Quite fiddly, and most people who have had problems with their fuel delivery (exactly as you've described) have had an aftermarket filter fitted. The problem goes away when a genuine filter is installed (carefully).

^ second this. It is a common problem that a non genuine filter will cause. I have just gone through an issue of a loss of power on acceleration and when I when and bought a genuine filter it came with all the extra o rings an after market filter doesn't. You have to reset the ECU after a fuel filter change also. Nissan do this after a filter change if they do the service. It's to do with the fuel rail pressure rising after a clean filter is installed and the ECU has compensated for the dirty filter. If it hasn't been reset it can cause the problem you are having and limp mode once driving. So use genuine filters and reset after you change it and it should all be fine.

Cheers.

Last edited:
I've encountered this same issue countless times, I changed the fuel pump, rail, and even purged my fuel lines. But I've been using genuine filters. And when the vehicle is scanned it shows a problem with the rail pressure.

Is this issue just with fuel filters or all filters was going to do 1st 5k oil change this weekend and was going to just grab oil n filter at supercheap or bursons

Only heard of the problem with fuel filters. Others have been using aftermarket oil filters and I don't recall too many issues - but then again, a slight oil leak doesn't do much to the performance or starting of the car, but a fuel leak does, so maybe that's a case of "well we didn't NOTICE it but there was a problem there" kinda thing.

Is this issue just with fuel filters or all filters was going to do 1st 5k oil change this weekend and was going to just grab oil n filter at supercheap or bursons

You can use MANN filters. They make the genuine Nissan filters but they are cheaper. After market oil filters will make oil pressure come up slower resulting in engine knock at start up.

Where do u get mann filters from? Would bursons carry them or would I need to go somewhere like western filters

Sorry for the nub question but the primer bulb has a one way valve in it, which should stop drain back. How does a seal not seating properly in the filter cause this problem? Are you talking about the seal on the return hose going into the filter? As my filter was one piece when i got it and didnt need assembly.

Where do u get mann filters from? Would bursons carry them or would I need to go somewhere like western filters

Sorry just saw your question. Yeah mate western filters or Sydney filters in blacktown also have them.

Latest posts

Back