Steering knock - new rack or new mounting kit?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Granthem

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a terrible knock in the front suspension. I had my mechanic have a quick look over it (he was rushed for time) but he didn't find anything obvious. He was booked out for a few weeks before he had the time to properly check it out, so I booked in for a Pedders 28point check.

Pedders have advised the knock is likely one of two things:

1. Brake slides needing greasing; Or
2. The steering rack being lose (they said this is likely it).

I have only spoken to them on the phone at this point, but they were suggesting I would need a whole new rack (hello 2k!). It seems abit strange to me that I would need a new rack when there is no leaks in the rack. It is simply the rack moving around.

I need to check in more certain terms, but I assume it would be a case of needing new rack mounts and bushes, as opposed to needing a new rack (unless the slop is in the actual rack?).

The question is:

Can the rack itself move from excessive wear (car has done 160 thou, no leaks in rack) OR

Would it be the rack slopping around as a whole because the bushes are worn?

I note this power steering site sells a bushes kit, and says its a common problem for Spain built models (which mine is)

http://www.ultimatepowersteering.co...san-navara-d40-spanish-built-chassis-9-05-on/

Anyone had similar problems with their rack?

Confirmed. Pedders say the steering rack itself has excessive wear/movement (not the mounting bushes)

I figured is the rods in the rack had excessive movement, then my seals would also be suffering from that and it would be leaking like a sieve?

Latest posts

Back