Steering locks up during water crossings

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docp1980

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else on here has had problems with their steering locking up during water crossings? It started happening to my truck a while ago and I can't diagnose the problem. My mechanic also has no idea what's going on. Whenever I do a water crossing that is deeper than around 40-50cm the steering just goes incredibly stiff and I have to fight to turn the steering wheel. I essentially have to cross in a straight line. It also happens if I go through a shallow crossing a bit faster and spray the engine bay with water.... The steering returns to normal a few seconds after i'm out of the crossing. Does not seem to be a problem in 2wd crossings. Originally I thought it may be the power steering belt slipping, but i've tightened this a couple of times and it doesn't help.

Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers!

Matt

I'm thinking belt too. Are there shiny spots on the belt? The fact that it goes normal again once you're out of the water means that it's obviously only suffering while it's wet.

Its the power steering belt slipping. Noticed it at lcmp recently and it gave me the shits. The mechanic we hadnin our group diagnosed it as power steering. A slight adjustment and a light spray of belt grip and im yet to do another water crossing to see what happens.

Rusty

I'm told this belt grip is seriously abrasive though and allows more dirt, etc to adhere to the belt which in turn causes belt wear?

You could try the old school trick and use a cake of soap, but im thinking once it gets dunked it will have the reveres effect.

If it were me i would just throw a new belt on as it is the most obvious thing, and at-least then you can eliminate that from solving the problem if it doesnt fix it.

Did I read on hear that you can't just do a new belt - you have to do the tensioners too?

Im not sure if you do have to change a tensioner when changing the fan belt, definitely a timing belt, but fan belt i would say only if it needs it, but if they are cheap then throw one on any how.

Latest posts

Back