strange gas smell in cabin

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chev182

Reaction score
I have recently purchased a 2008 diesel Nissan Navara D40. I am getting a strange gas smell in the cabin. It is intermittent and normally occurs after at least 30 minutes of driving. I occurs when the aircon is off and on. I have taken it to nissan and they cant find what is wrong with it. Any ideas?

If it was someone farting they would have serious issues. Checked the exhaust no leaks, but thanks.

There is a thread on here about oily smell in the cabin which is from the boot on the gearbox splitting a few of us have had this problem.

Check your battery! Could be a dud, and cooking itself. As soon as you can smell it pull over and feel how hot the battery is or better still if you know how to use a multi meter test the thing. My brother inlaw was having a similar problem with his cruiser!

Cheers Brad

What kind of gas does it smell like?

Butane? LPG? Paintball gun? Burning plastic? Hot brakes? Nutty, or greasy?

Each of these could mean different things. Knowing if yours is manual or auto would also help.

I had a magna which gave out a rank gas smell it turned out be gas leaking from a/c, it was intermitint and over a preoid of time before a/c stopped getting cold.

I'd check the boot around the gear lever. Look for a tear or rip, or where it may have let go from the sides.

Being a 2008 model the aircon should be gassed with R134A which smells like paintball gun discharge (oddly enough because paintball guns use R134A as propellant). It's noticeable, unpleasant and should only happen when the aircon has been turned on. Just to make sure about that though, it might be an idea to have someone test for leaks. Take it for a half-hour drive and stop at an aircon engineer's workshop, who will be able to nail the smell if it's from your aircon.

Other than that, I suspect you're getting fumes in the cabin from around the gear lever. Its happened before.

Chev,
i had exactly the same issue with my new D22 purchased last year. I asked Nissan to check the Gas levels in the Aircon (they can only do that by refilling the whole unit) and found that it has leaked about half its gas. I believe that the gas is scented to alert you to any leaks in the cabin although it is inert and harmless.

Get them to check all the seals etc

Thanks to everyone for there help. It was the boot on the gear stick. It had I one inch split.

Latest posts

Back