strange noise

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sem

Reaction score
Hey guys
I seem to have developed a strange noise and while i have read about some noises here as i don't know much about the finer working i don't know which one to pick.
In the last few weeks i got a 2" suspension done and a new set of mickey t stz on my 08, D22. drove it for a few days and then went to the beach. On the way home i heard something but didn't know what it was (kids wife radio need i say more) driving on my own it sounds like something is winding up sort of following the revs of the engine but only in first or second gear. I thought it was sand or something but i really cleaned it and the funny thing is that sometimes it just goes away for a while. It sounds like it is coming from the front passenger side but just revving the engine in neutral or with the clutch pressed it sounds fine.
I'd appreciate any thoughts
cheers Scotty

from your description it sounds like the turbo whine alot of zd30 d22 develop, but i cannot be sure with out hearing the noise obviously. when my old d22 started doing it, it was only intermittent and was mainly in 1st and 2nd and around 2 to 3grand rev range and after a few stop and start at the lights or what ever it would go and then return after the car had been stopped for a while but would not do it first thing in the morning. as time went on it got more and more consistent. the car was unfortunately written off so that was never really sorted out.
how many km has your d22 done? mine had done a little over 350,000km and the noise hadnt been there long but was getting worse.
any way imo i think its the turbo and is worth getting it sorted. when the turbo lets go on the d22 without an intercooler its not a good thing as the shrapnel from the broken turbine gets thrown up into the top end doing allot of damage.
best of luck with it. nath

Thanks for that I'm having it looked at Monday but it is a 2008 D22 so a inter-cooled 2.5 with only 45000k i was hoping it wouldn't be anything that serious.

my bad!!!! well that was dumb of me not to realise that its an 08. i really have to read shit more carefully and what makes it worse is that the photo even shows the scoop for the intercooler. all i can say is sorry for that but as far as i now the yd2.5 in the d22 runs a different turbo to the zd30 and you have an intercooler. so that will catch the shrapnel if the turbo does let go.
at 45000km you will be able to get it sorted under warranty wouldn't you? with so few km you would hope your turbo isnt the prob or anything else that major.
let us know what the outcome is anyway. once again sorry for the misleading info. nath

Latest posts

Back