Stubbies or Tinnies to the cape??

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NathanJG

Reaction score
Just wondering on peoples thoughts on stubbies v cans for our trip to the cape. I was intending on taking cans as I would imagine bottles might break?? but have also heard of the aluminium cans rubbing together and rubing a hole in the cans??
What has worked for you guys??
I will be taking beer either way, I need a beer or three after having the missus and 3 boys in our 22 (otherwise I will go friggin insane!!)

In ice cans or stubbies are no problem, in The engel its a worry, someone sells flash stubbie holders that go over The top of The can, i just pack all my cans in normal stubbie holders, but The thinner neoprene ones they give away for free at trade shows are good, as there thinner and you dont lose much space, also you cart in and you cart out, tins squash making less rubbish

Cans squash when your done with them, so they pack out easier. But Ali cans are also really energy intensive to make -- much more so than glass. Both are easy enough to recycle.

Stubbies risk breaking, cans risk rubbing through -- but both hold beer, and both have about similar pros and cons. So for me it comes down to which I prefer to drink from :cheers!: :beer:

Hi mate I only ever used to drink stubbies until I started camping lots. Now every trip it's cans for me. Cans crush, don't brake. When you leave with stubbies you have a huge garbage bag full of empties. But with cans no where near as bad. Plus if you have a reasonable fire cans just melt away.

Cans for me too. had stubbies last time i went to fraser only in the esky not the fridge and they sloshed around in the ice and 6 of the lids cracked there seal and started leaking.

And as said they crush once empty

Stubbies leak and they are heavier, take cans.
Just be careful of the grog laws up there, there are exclusion zones and they apply to everyone.

Just wondering on peoples thoughts on stubbies v cans for our trip to the cape. I was intending on taking cans as I would imagine bottles might break?? but have also heard of the aluminium cans rubbing together and rubing a hole in the cans??
What has worked for you guys??
I will be taking beer either way, I need a beer or three after having the missus and 3 boys in our 22 (otherwise I will go friggin insane!!)

Take cans

Take cans, and if your worried about them rubbing thru, as they do if the roads are really corrugated, before your put them in your esky, (or fridge), buy a bag of rubber bands and put one around each can. Works great.

I've carried a 2 litre banrock cask on a 10 day walk - was worth every extra gram :D

Take cans, and if your worried about them rubbing thru, as they do if the roads are really corrugated, before your put them in your esky, (or fridge), buy a bag of rubber bands and put one around each can. Works great.

This. I put those big red postie rubber bands around them never had a problem.

I've carried a 2 litre banrock cask on a 10 day walk - was worth every extra gram :D
we had a group of trampers walk into the hut where camped at (we where hunting) and they hiked a 2 litre cask EACH for the 2 day trip !

That's a bit excessive - but if they were using huts they might as well replace the tent with booze.

Cans.

Always had at least 12 in the Engle. I tend to drink 'em so they don't have more than 2 days on the corrugations. Never had one rub through.

Stubbies are prone to break and are much heavier and bulky to carry as rubbish. Cans can be burnt to nothing over night if you have a nice fire ;)

Latest posts

Back