Stuck in 4Low

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks for the info Escapee but my Nav is still at Nissan and has been since the 4th Oct, they have ordered in parts that haven't worked. The main thing i am pissed off about at the moment is that tomorrow i am meant to be towing my race car to Victoria for a event have told dealer and they do not care. apparently Nissan Australia are involved now. i really do not trust the people working on my car as last Friday they told me it was getting a new clutch to witch i replied but its a Auto and they replied with oh then we don't know whats wrong.

I just want my Nav back so i can enjoy it.

I found Nissan Mechanics completely useless too. I went to a great mechanic at Mt Druitt in Western Sydney (refered by a friend) who put the diagnostic machine down and tested the car old school. It took him 5 hrs (at half the hourly price of Nissan) using meters and test lights to find the problem was with the computer despite the diagnostic machine saying the computer was fine. I ordered the part through Adam (link on page one of this thread) and for $350 for a second hand, tested computer he sent it overnight express post. It arrived the next day and fixed the problem straight away. I have heard so many other bad stories about dealer mechanics and had so many problems with my holden dealer mechanic for the family car that I'm convinced I'll never take another car to a dealer mechanic ever again, especially not a Nissan one. I figure screw the crappy dealer extended warranty that they offer. For $1000 when you buy a car from a dealer you can buy an aftermarket warranty that is valid if you take the car to any MCA mechanic and the money you save in labour puts you way infront financially over the 3 years. Then there's the issue that a dealer mechanic wants to charge $140 per hour and my mechanic is $77 per hour.

Well i went to the dealer today and spoke the the mechanic working on my car. He was very nice and told me everything he has checked and swapped on my car he also told me he was able to manually put it into 2hi. So he is going to be putting the car back together so i can use it for the weekend and it will go back on Tuesday when i get home for them to find the problem and fix.

I am very happy with that result at the moment. I just had to go there and bypass the middle man who has nfi.

Once i know what has gone wrong in the car ill let everyone know. Hopefully it will be able to help someone else out.

i really do not trust the people working on my car as last Friday they told me it was getting a new clutch to witch i replied but its a Auto and they replied with oh then we don't know whats wrong.

I just want my Nav back so i can enjoy it.

OMFG, Oh my f#%@n god....
That is so stupid, bet that dude never tells that story out loud.
Just hope it was the work experience kid eh. Scheeesh...

My brother was tell'n me his Holden dealer serviced his diesel Rodeo and charged him for 4 spark plugs, no lie.

Have a great week end.

Once i know what has gone wrong in the car ill let everyone know. Hopefully it will be able to help someone else out.

Take note if the transmission is shifting rough and upshifting too early. In hindsight that was one of the tell tale symptoms of mine. Reason I ask is the shift signal is affected by the 4wd control unit computer. Also see what happens with the 4wd warning lights if you put it in Neutral after being in drive.

so here is my question...

mine WONT go into 4 low... the icon with wheels and diffs all change to black and the little 4 low text flashes then all of it dissapears and the 4WD warning light comes on

im searching everywhere for threads. sounds expensive :(

It may be a stuck actuator, or it could be as simple as muck in the connector for the actuator. It's obviously getting the signal to do it, and you're doing the Neutral-brake thing properly.

What's the back of your transfer case look like, is it clean? Any snagged wires from stray sticks?

The actuator itself might also be faulty - it's hard to tell. There may be a DTC (diagnostic trouble code) which you can extract with an OBD reader. If it's under warranty, take it back to Nissan.

Like Tony said, put it on the diagnostic first. Any mechanic will charge you an hours labour to do that. From experience another 2nd hand actuator is $450 vs $2000 for a new one. 2nd hand 4wd Control unit computer is $350 vs $1050 for a new one. Brand new Transfer case is a little over $4000, i never got a quote on a 2nd hand one. It is easy to test if your transfer case is faulty or not by removing the actuator and manually putting it in and out of 4low (see my previous post for instructions). If it moves in and out easy then the transfer is ok and the problem is electric. Could also just be a relay worth about $25 each or as Tony said, dirty wiring that just needs a clean. But at the end of the day if your transfer is ok and your actuator is ok then the 2 most expensive things are out of the way.

had some issues getting mine in 4low ,but was user error i think , mine goes in only if your foot is on the brake and in nutral same to get it out .

had some issues getting mine in 4low ,but was user error i think , mine goes in only if your foot is on the brake and in nutral same to get it out .

As per the instructions in the user manual all D40s and I think you wil find all cars with a low range have that requirement. It's protection so you don't grind the gears. If you have a car with a lever you are supposed to do the same thing going High to Low, that is have it in Neutral and foot on the brake so there is no movement in the transfer case what so ever while you are shifting.

well my Navara is currently still at the Nissan Dealer. it's been to date 32days. I have just had a call from the telling me that a auto electrician has given it the ok on that side and now the transfer box will be coming out tomorrow.

i did tell them on when the Navara first went in that when it went into low range it made a clunk sound.

they are telling me i will have to Navara back for the weekend but i am not holding my breath.

Wow, 32 days. What an absolute disgrace. It took my independant mechanic just 5 hours to test all the electrics and locate the problem. Surely Nissan are taking the piss.

I brought my 2014 D22 from Berwick Mitsubishi 4 years ago, at the time I got a 4 year mechanical protection plan with loan vehicle since I live in Lilydale just in case. Had the SCV replaced and a leaking glow plug repaired. The mechanic’s at Berwick Mitsubishi are great they know their stuff never had any problems, never been given the runaround. I’m a 30 year ADF veteran with an assistant dog they always treat myself and my mate with kindness not like some dealer stories I’ve heard on this site. The protection plan has ended but they still provide me with a loan vehicle, my point being there are some good dealer mechanics out there, So if in the Berwick area I highly recommend them.

Back