STX-550 $1200 40,000km service ?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomAu

Reaction score
My navara is up for its 40,000 km service. I thinking of calling it quits with nissan. I have always serviced my own cars and just cannot get my head around the $1200. They will change all the oils. But my 550 is just a highyway cruiser. The diff oils can stay in forever unless they get dirty.
Just need to figure out how to reset the service warning leds on the dash.

What do people think ?

I get mine serviced elsewhere now, only went to nissan for first 2 and couldn't justify the $1150 for my st, I get stamped book ect so doesn't void any warranty and the 40k service was half the price of nissan.

Dealer servicing results in several things and I'm sorry if anyone disagrees with any of these points.

1) You are helping un- or low-skilled people get to practice on a real car until they finally get enough skills to get a real wage-paying job somewhere

3) The dealers SHOULD follow a very precise formula when servicing the car so that it's done to Nissan's specifications exactly, which is somewhat important when something major goes wrong and Nissan are considering whether or not to warrant the item in question

2) The goodwill you create by servicing it at a Nissan dealership is going to have a significant bearing if a normally warrantable item fails outside the warranty period.

4) You get people like me writing point form posts and trying to number them in order.

It IS a big service. Lots of stuff gets replaced, and they SHOULD be replacing it with good stuff. Mind you, a real mechanic will probably do just as good a job - if not better - and charge you less.

I had my Navara serviced today. The rotors were replaced under warranty. How good is that ! New brake pads fitted. I'm happy. I was told the 50K services is a freebee.
There were some other 550 owners in the waiting queue. We could not stop talking about how good the car is.
I go to Nissan FTG and am very pleased with their service.

Check your books guys,

the 40, 80 and 120 are major services.

Now You might not have capped price servicing but that's no excuse to go above the recommendations from Nissan, so know your pricing and fight them over it. Or as above find a Good mechanic and put the dollars in his pocket :)
Check here http://www.nissan.com.au/~/media/Files/Brochures/Owners/Capped%20Price%20Service%20Lists/Navara%20D40.ashx

i always check on the wall what its ment to cost me before i go and pay, there is always a difference in the price untill i point at the poster on the wall and say How about i pay XYZ instead?

Yeah I'm going somewhere else next time too. As my 40 is comming up and I'm not risking 1100 for no reason

Father in law had his Grand Cherokee serviced at Jeep since new, they have left the sump plug loose on one service and over filled the trans on another. Both were over $1000,00 service's and thats the level of workmanship he got. Even I could do better than that!

Buy the genuine nissan service items required and give the work to a respectable mechanic. They can't argue warranty.
They're only kids doing the work at the dealers, nissan or otherwise.
Some on here have experienced work charged for and not done.
I have a camera in my car that records their behaviour, its pathetic at two different dealers now.

Dealers won't lift there game until they no longer have the monopoly.

Oh, by the way. Read the form you sign when dropping off your pride n joy.
They mention that they MAY NOT use genuine products to do the servicing.

Last edited:
I know things here in Canberra are expensive right, to do a service it's nearly $250 worth of parts (2x 5l of fully synthetic and a filter) vs the capped price ( for a Minor service) of $249.
Now look at my mrs car (2013 pulsar) it's the same 'capped' price of $250 and the parts are worth $75 for me to buy....

When it comes to major services I know for a fact they skimp where possible, and after the last ordeal I won't go back.
Making a grand total of four nissans in the family that won't ever cast a shadow on their driveways :)

Yep I just can't deal with the stupidity. I went once and had something done. When I picked the car up they said I had a flat tire and will be bring it to me in 10mins once they have fixed it. Yeah over an Hour later. They finally get it to me. With a **** up wheel alinement

My navara is up for its 40,000 km service. I thinking of calling it quits with nissan. I have always serviced my own cars and just cannot get my head around the $1200. They will change all the oils. But my 550 is just a highyway cruiser. The diff oils can stay in forever unless they get dirty. Just need to figure out how to reset the service warning leds on the dash. What do people think ?
To answer your question, by holding the trip meter button before you turn the ignition on then once holding it down turn your ignition on and you should be able to set the desired service kms via the trip button by turning it and your done. Not sure if it will work on the 550 but works in my d40

My 370z was run into a kerb and was never told. Plus they revd the shit out of it while sitting in the work shop. Imagine the surprise when I told them I knew about it. I left them wondering how.

Buy the genuine nissan service items required and give the work to a respectable mechanic. They can't argue warranty.
They're only kids doing the work at the dealers, nissan or otherwise.
Some on here have experienced work charged for and not done.
I have a camera in my car that records their behaviour, its pathetic at two different dealers now.

Dealers won't lift there game until they no longer have the monopoly.

Oh, by the way. Read the form you sign when dropping off your pride n joy.
They mention that they MAY NOT use genuine products to do the servicing.

what sort of camera and wheres it mounted?
sounds like a good idea

what sort of camera and wheres it mounted?
sounds like a good idea

Blackvue brand.
they have a few, not cheap. Mine is the 500, the 550 has forward and rearward. Mounts behind the rear view mirror.

Latest posts

Back