STX 550 7 speed box

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had my v6 for nearly 12 months now and I can understand the complaints that some make of the gearbox. For my part I think that it is a good box that is let down by some poor electronic control. As boxes get more complicated with more gears it puts more emphasis on the electrickery.

I find that when cruising along the box will seamlessly change between 6 and 7 and comfortable maintain a 90 to 110 cruising speed. It is when you get into hilly country and slower speeds that there are issues.

I drove over the Alpine Way from Jindabyne to Albury on Friday and the only way to drive it was to put it in manual. Even in sport mode it would let the revs drop too much before kicking back. If the sport mode was set to not let it drop below say 1750 when sensing throttle it would be much better.

To put the Nav into perspective over the years I have driven this road in number of vehicles ranging from a mid 90's Jeep Cherokee, various Subarus with 4 and 6 speed boxes as well as D40s ('06 auto and 2012 STX).

The easiest gearbox for this road was the Jeep, Simple box with a docile but torquey motor. Of the Subarus the 4 speed was better than 6 speed which could get "confused" and you needed to use the flappy paddles.

With regards to the Nissans the 06 was better but again it was a simpler box. With the 7 speed manual mode worked really well with 4th being the main weapon of choice and just used the torque. Down to 2nd on a few corners and 3rd on the long down hills.

If the sports mode could be tweaked it would be a great box for me.

My 2 cents worth .......

Hey mate I have the same problem with mine, exactly as u explain it.
Anyone know if Nissan or anywhere else has a fix for it?
:Rambo:

EVERYONE needs to start ringing the 1800 number and start put in complaints, cause that is the only! Why Nissan will override the programming and fix the problem

I have found similar things.
Set the cruise to 93km and it will sit in 6th gear, increase speed to 94km and it will drop into 7th.
I hit a hill at 94km on cruise and it holds 94km and stays in 7th gear. The next day I hit the same hill at 100km and the auto changes down to 5th gear and the engine screams to 2500rpm?
Love to tweak it.

I have found similar things.
Set the cruise to 93km and it will sit in 6th gear, increase speed to 94km and it will drop into 7th.
I hit a hill at 94km on cruise and it holds 94km and stays in 7th gear. The next day I hit the same hill at 100km and the auto changes down to 5th gear and the engine screams to 2500rpm?
Love to tweak it.

I wonder if its a Nissan box?
If so another manufacturer may use it better?
And it may be tinkered with in another country??

The seven speed auto in the 370z is Nissans and its so predictable and positive I'm converted to sports auto concept.

Latest posts

Back