stx 550 fuel line problem - SOLVED

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jnavara

Reaction score
Hi, was wondering if anyone could help me or has had this problem before?... i have a stx 550 with 30,000km's and recently taken a trip to Braidwood where i ran into some trouble. the following morning after arriving was quite cold aprox 4 degrees. Upon starting the engine it stalled. After investigation I found that a rubber fuel line had popped off. this was located underneath the intercooler hose on the right hand side of the engine which had to be removed to reinstate the hose. I also found a crack on the back of the intercooler hose. After the car was up and running, there was no further problems that day. But the following morning, before I left for home, the same problem had occurred, this time, however, the top hose had popped off and the hose located underneath it had started to slide off also.

After returning to my local dealership, it was explained that the top hose was a return line, and the bottom was a supply to the fuel pump. It was also explained that they had believed that the self tightening spring clamps weren't tight enough and were replaced with screw clamps. The intercooler hose was put on back order. I explained to them I was going on a 2 week trip to the snowy mountains and I was assured there was no underlining problem with the fuel lines and the crack in the intercooler hose would not trouble me either.

I embarked on my 5 hour trip to the snowies, and the morning after arriving attempted to start my car but the engine just splattered and stalled. I re-cranked and the same occurred. On investigation the top fuel hose had now held tight with the new hose clamps, but the line had ballooned and split. I called Nissan and they had the car towed to the closest dealership, 95km away. They've had the car for 4 days now and the only thing they have established this arvo is that the fuel line needs to be replaced and that i should be provided with a hire car. Its Nissans opinion that there should be no pressure in those two lines and the split was caused by a faulty hose. Therefore, in there opinion, once the hose is replaced, there is no problem. I dont understand if the hose is a return line, why the engine stalls/splatters when it was ruptured? They also say that the cold has nothing to do with the problem. This problem has only occurred in cold conditions as I am from warmer climate. I believe once i have the car back i will have the same problem again as i still have over a week left in the snowies (if I get the car back!) Please help?!

Something over pressuring/blocked perhaps?
This may explain some functionality if you haven't seen it already.
(Sorry, link not working...will try again )

Last edited:
Hi all,
Just heard back from service that they have found water in the fuel! Approx in a 300ml bottle, a quarter was water. This would explain the lines popping off as the water would be freezing over night and then being picked up first thing in the morning. I believe I have a clean source of diesel, so is there any other way that water can enter the tank? Also I have an additional 80 litre tank fitted from factory that gravity feeds to the main tank.

Further update:

It seems in cold regions there is a winter diesel mix not available in sydney. Subsequently, my fuel has frozen and separated, my fuel lines and tank are clogged with wax.So please be aware if you travel to cold climate areas, there is an additive available that can prevent this from happening.

Back