Super dodgy workmanship. (name and shame)

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshman

Reaction score
OK, so some of you may know that I've had my truck in to get the diff ratios changed and a few other bits and pieces done.

The full scope of work to be done was diff ratios, wheel bearings, clutch, diff overhaul and swap the lokka across into the new front diff housing I provided. Pretty simple stuff really. They had the truck for two weeks, and I picked it up 2 weeks ago so I had 2 weeks to look it over.

Due to some unclear instruction's by me, they didn't swap the lokka across, no big deal really, I put the lokka in last Easter, I'll just repeat the process again this Easter. So i'm pulling the front end apart on Friday morning and I find a few very disconcerting things.

1.) Missing bolt on the bell housing
2.) No attempt was made to connect the diff breather
3.) The bolt that goes through the short stub axle on the diff and bolts down to the diff centre was missing. (Major issue!)
4.) The "overhaul" obviously didn't necessitate new oil seals or bearings/races

I'm quite pissed off with the lack of workmanship displayed by this place, and the fact they charged me for the inconvenience if it all.

Anyone and everyone, tell your friends and family to steer well clear of the Gearbox & Diff Shop at Woolloongabba.

EDIT: THIS ISN'T EVEN THE FULL LIST OF BAD WORK I'VE FOUND! When I picked up the car the starter motor wasn't even bolted up properly (missing a bolt and hanging loose), the rear pinion seal is leaking and the gasket on the rear cover plate isn't doing a very good job.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130330_223349.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130330_223349.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 156
  • ForumRunner_20130330_223405.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130330_223405.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 150
  • ForumRunner_20130330_223416.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130330_223416.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 149
  • ForumRunner_20130330_223457.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130330_223457.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 151
  • ForumRunner_20130330_223514.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130330_223514.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Oh boy. Simple directions which you thought would have been simple enough not followed to the customer's satisfaction. Have you contacted them regarding all the faults. Maybe the apprentice got your project and wasn't watched over by a qualified mechanic? Usually a overhaul means every piece, obviously not to some

Hope you sort things out
Rusty

That's hopeless Josh. Thanks for the warning. Did you contact them and let them know how pissed you are? Maybe you might get a part refund....

Call the MTA, they shouldn't be working on anything for the street. They couldn't even get rite what you told them to do let alone if you didn't have a clue.

Call the MTA, they shouldn't be working on anything for the street. They couldn't even get rite what you told them to do let alone if you didn't have a clue.

MTA? Who, what, and how?

And Dave, they stung me for $2150, and I provided all the fluids, bearings, overhaul kits and clutch kit, and bits and pieces. All they had to do was the work.

Though the overhaul kit that I provided for the front was wrong (CBC Bearings fault), and they're trying to get me to pay for the overhaul bits they installed in the front - of which I see little evidence that they actually did.

The MTA (Motor Traders Association) I think that's who gives them there license to do mechanical repairs and if they are doing doggy work they should come down on them like a tone of bricks.
I'm not sure of what state your in but they are in all states. Bellow is a snip from there web site.

Motor Trades Association handles complaints about car repairs if the mechanic is a ...

Cheers

Navmania,

The MTA hold no such powers, and can only act upon its members (it's not compulsory to join). There is no licensing regulations in Qld.

Joshman,

Looks like you may well have been taken for a ride. Not much help now, but I recommend "Diff Lapping & Repairs" for all differential work. Not cheap, but I'm yet to hear a complaint!

It's hard to find good service theses days. Every time I put my Nav in to get something done somewhere it comes back worse off than before it went in. It got hit by hail and when it went in to get that damage fixed it looked like they got the kids to put it back together. Screws missing everywhere, canopy seals hanging out. Then when I got the timing chain done whoever put the centre console back in cut my spotlight switch harness in half. The smell of oil all thru the interior from the gear leaver boot they didn't put back on. All the foam seals around the radiator missing. I want to get my injectors checked but I'm to scared of what will happen to it or if they will charge me for things it doesn't even need. I do everything I can myself but the some things I can't do I should be able to rely on the so called pros I take it to. We all should.

My biggest problem is that I can't afford to have the nav off the road for any great length of time to attempt the big jobs myself, other wise I definitely would.

Actually my biggest problem is that I don't have a secure and enclosed place to jack it up and pull it apart.

Yeah, know how you feel. I worked on my cars in the driveway in the rain for years. Now I have built myself a nice sized workshop and loving it. If I don't get what I have started finished I can just leave it and start again the next day without having to pack up.

Back