Suspension

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vigilante

Reaction score
Looking at upgrading the suspenders on my D40. I keep searching Ebay and fining lots of options... Ironman, Lovells, Dobinsons, Bilstein, Tough Dog... the list goes on.

But I keep coming back to one brand - Tough Dog.

Only because of one thing - they have the "Fast Fit" strut. Now I know that we all like to tinker and probably chop and change spring/shock combo's but seriously why don't all manufacturers consider having a system like this? The idea of NOT having to use a spring compressor is fantastic. It is literally a case of undo some bolts... take out old strut... insert new strut... do up bolts.

I would buy the Bilstein shocks if they came prepared like this... seems like Tough Dog have isolated a section of the market here... and from all reports they are a good product... surely other companies would be looking to follow in their footsteps...?

what he said ^ pretty sure ultimate suspension do a pre made bilstein strut with dobinson coil or something.

Yes they are more expensive however you are also paying for the convenience... I am going to look into ultimate suspension as well - thanks for the tip :)

I guess the whole thing just makes tough dog more accessible in my opinion.

Last edited:
I searched around and it looks like ultimate do their own brand struts and coils pre assemled for $520 each, not sure on other brands/coils though they claim their shocks can be valved for each individual application and rebuilt in house.

You can buy the top bearing plates now. just get whatever brand you want and get them to compress them before picking up... the plates are around $140 from memory (ebay snake racing. toughdog ect) so i guess toughdog are only realy charging $20 for convenience. also its a good idea to use new top polates anyway as they do wear the rubbers out....

You can buy the top bearing plates now. just get whatever brand you want and get them to compress them before picking up... the plates are around $140 from memory (ebay snake racing. toughdog ect) so i guess toughdog are only realy charging $20 for convenience. also its a good idea to use new top polates anyway as they do wear the rubbers out....

Just more justification for going pre-assembled tough dogs :)

Gday guys sorry in advance for the hi-jack. But what is the difference/advantages of adjustable shocks?

Thanks

Gday guys sorry in advance for the hi-jack. But what is the difference/advantages of adjustable shocks?

Thanks

There adjustable. Lol they make the spring sit higher or lower on the shock/strut.. Basically it's a aftermarket shock absorber that is the same in length as the stock shock but gives you the option to lift the spring up and down the strut to obtain lift without extending the shockie thus giving you a suspension lift without compromising the cars specs from factory. That's the advantage of adjustable over fixed.

That's the best I can explain it to you mate. Don't mean to be cheeky but your question made me laugh a little lol..

Last edited:
I thought it was to do with the dampening rate ie soft or hard shockies for road and adjust for 4wding

That is true, how good they quality of the product is.. So for instance you opt for say a monotube over a twin tube the dampening rate is going to be greater etc.. Do you get what I mean? As for adjustable that's another aspect of the shock.. So if you follow me as for dampening that all comes down to how big the diameter of the piston, if its single tube, mono or mono with a separate chamber off it. Also if they are foam, gas or nitro charged.. Hope that helps mate

Yeah it does greatly. Ok next question. Toughdog or rancho for adjustable ones? Or would you just get non adjustables?

Yeah it does greatly. Ok next question. Toughdog or rancho for adjustable ones? Or would you just get non adjustables?

Personally if it was me, Bilstein or tough dog would be my choice and I'd go adjustable.. Now with any adjustable shock/strut you need to make sure you use the right spring rate in them otherwise they can be quite harsh.. So if you don't have bullbar winch etc.. Then you go for a 2" raised light duty spring for the front.. Believe me the light duty after adjusted and in the car are quite tough.. You only move up the range by how much weight you have on the front.. As for the rear same thing applies but I would lean toward medium spring rate unless towing all the time then you need heavy duty.. This is just my knowledge from my mates forbies and others experience. As for brand mate like with anything do your research and you will make your own mind up about them..

Now don't quote me I this, it is my opinion what you really need to do is search forums and see what guys have fitted and look at their reviews about the certain products you have in mind it's by far the best way to self educate yourself for future upgrades to your toy. Hope this helps mate

Last edited:
Sorry I forgot to mention why I would go for adjustable.. Simply because I have no bull bar, winch etc... So if I have done the upgrade to adjustable before I decided to put a bull bar on or down the track I wanted one.. After fitment if my front end did sag a little I can always adjust it up a notch and level it out.. Rather then buying new springs :) that's how I see it..

Ok thanks.

Mine is stock as a rock D40 ST-X at the moment but I will be decking it out with bull bar, winch, siderails, underbody protection up front and on the back i'll have a canopy, roofrack with awning, second battery in the tray, draws, rear bar with spare wheel on it and I tow my boat of about 1tn very regularly.

What would u recomend for that setup?

Ok thanks.

Mine is stock as a rock D40 ST-X at the moment but I will be decking it out with bull bar, winch, siderails, underbody protection up front and on the back i'll have a canopy, roofrack with awning, second battery in the tray, draws, rear bar with spare wheel on it and I tow my boat of about 1tn very regularly.

What would u recomend for that setup?

Most defiantly talk to zordo mate or another professional in that regard. I can only give my opinion but these guys do it all day everyday.. But I would say go tough dog, I don't think you can go wrong there..

Good call,i didn't pick up on the plates.

think you guys need to clarify what your talking about RE:adjustable shocks.

Bilstein make a height adjustable shock for the D40 (5100 series) it has 4 stages that you can move the spring seat to (0-2.5" lift using stock springs) however bilsteins valves are meant to be self adjusting, I have had them on a previous car and they are an amazing shockie.

The other adjustable shocks are ones like Rancho and Koni which have adjustable valving, different to the bilsteins in that they don't have the snap ring and movable spring seat.

cheers.

Latest posts

Back